Where to take a kid with a 16ft jon & 25hp merc

10/5/15 @ 3:01 PM
ORIGINAL POST
JRJOHN
JRJOHN
USER since 5/2/06
I am planning on taking my 2.5 year old son duck hunting this weekend for the first time and I'm looking for some place to go. All the places I hunt only have access with a canoe but I don't think taking my son in a canoe iS a wise choice. I've borrowed a 16ft jon boat with a 25hp merc for the weekend but I'm not real sure where I can hunt. I'm from Campbellsport and I don't want to drive too far. It doesn't have to even be a good spot just a place the I can get to with the boat and that maybe he might see some ducks flying and hear a few shots.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts
10/21/15 @ 7:34 PM
flyguy329
flyguy329
USER since 1/25/06
Read the comments..Do not listen to all the nay sayers...You know your son. My son was so ready at 3. I have so many friends who dont understand why their kids dont want to go out for the first time at 10 and would rather do anything but (often tv/video games)? Im not saying forcing it on them but you have a dad that wants to include his son. Do it and dont regret a minute of it! Too many guys spent too much time away in the woods and not enough with their kids. Include them!!

Post Your Comment
10/21/15 @ 7:29 PM
flyguy329
flyguy329
USER since 1/25/06
Havent read all comments but here is my suggestion....My first son went with me at 4 the second at 3....I suggest jump shooting. Get him some ear muffs and take him to places where you know birds are (woodies are great for jumping - at least where I go). He wont get bored in the backpack and you stand a good chance of shooting action. Based on all my times out with my boys who are now 5/7 here are some suggestions.

1. Food is your number one ticket. They can eat at a buffet and be hungry the second you step out of the truck.

2. Be prepared for loud crabby kids. Its going to happen. Dont force them to be quiet.

3. Bring a couple toys for the blind or books, etc.

4. Plan accordingly for the weather.

5. Decrease your expectations of a successful days. Some of my best outdoors days have been taking the first doe we saw with a bow (essentially ruining chances at bucks), changing tactics and focusing on carp. This past summer I tried to get my son to cast into the big gills...he was more entertained with the 1 inchers at his feet.

6. Dont push the early mornings. I give up most early/prime mornings to hunt at a normal time with my kids..

Just a few thoughts to ponder..Have fun!1

Post Your Comment
10/21/15 @ 9:27 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
JR, so how did it go? Have fun? My kids love it! Obviously, you must pick the right spot and day. Big brother don't like it much tho, when the girls come out. He says, "they are to noisy, move to much and we don't see as many birds". I must remind him, he was the same way.

Post Your Comment
10/8/15 @ 7:49 AM
JRJOHN
JRJOHN
USER since 5/2/06
Ryan1 hit it on the head. Maybe I could have worded post better. Thanks for all the advice and the suggestions. I scouted a few spots last night that guys messaged me. I think I got a lake picked out and hopefully we'll see some birds flying. Good luck to everyone.

Post Your Comment
10/8/15 @ 7:36 AM
breal
breal
USER since 10/12/10
JRJohn, not very familiar with that area down there. But get him out, be safe and have fun. Bring lots of snacks. What wood duck,..I mean, no wait Mick... ahh, Piper you bored? Trying to get the boot again? Shooting for the forth handle this year? Piper is correct, very dangerous world out there. It is much safer sitting at a desk, in front of the laptop, quoting/arguing with people and telling them how they are wrong. John, maybe take Piper's advice and do something safer, maybe just sit inside and watch videos of hunting on the web.. lol! A parent taking a two year old out hunting, is no different than taking him to the mall, play ground, or a car ride. If the parent is responsible and has common sense, he will make responsible decisions. If the parent is a dumb arse, with no brains and makes poor decisions. Well,.. the kid is in danger of choking on his favorite snack sitting in front of the t.v.?? I started taking my son out at four. I would let him put my face paint on, that was a hit. The pictures are priceless. And stop at Walmart pick up the toilet seat that snaps on to a five gallon bucket. You will need it for years to come. Have fun.

Post Your Comment
10/7/15 @ 8:22 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER since 2/6/09
took my son on a goose hunt when he was less then two years old. took him in a canoe even. the story he told was, "papa, papa, boom boom, goose fall down!" priceless. take that kid on an adventure he may remember forever. thats what is all about. Smile

Post Your Comment
10/7/15 @ 7:26 PM
Higgs
Higgs
USER since 1/14/13
TOo young. Take him hiking and bird watching. Teach him the outdoors first and then he will know more when he is ready to hunt. Don't push him to young. You might be pushing him away instead of enjoying it. One cold morning will take the taste out of his mouth.

Post Your Comment
10/7/15 @ 6:36 PM
ryan1
ryan1
USER since 7/16/07
For what it is worth. All of you are bashing have no idea how this kid is raised. There are kids that little that snow ski and do other things that most little kids dont do. Maybe this kid has been in the outdoors alot in his short life. I don't think he was looking for a hunting spot. Probably just a small or safe body of water that would work with a boat like that

Post Your Comment
10/7/15 @ 1:07 PM
Marsh Man 2
Marsh Man 2
USER since 9/20/10
Piper Super Cub Piper Super Cub

Level: General User Joined: 9/10/2015 Status: Offline 10/6/15 5:10 PM CST "Once again this sight reminds me why I haven't been on here for years." But yet you turn to it for free scouting advice.

Big Smile

Why not do some scouting with your 2-1/2 year old? I am sure he would enjoy that. Maybe next time say you're wanting to take out your mother, or disabled father, and can someone give up some spots they know of to you.

Wink

Yeah I guess I can't read. And when I see bullying I stand up to it. Crying

Post Your Comment
10/7/15 @ 12:36 PM
Marsh Man 2
Marsh Man 2
USER since 9/20/10
No I messengered him privately because of all the bashing of him going on. Your first post accuses him of lying. Today upon reviewing the post again I couldn't help myself but add my 2cents in and I now regret it. You win Piper you are the better man and I will not post on this moving forward. Good job being a bully

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts