Tangle-Free Decoy Weights

10/3/15 @ 10:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
charlieboy
charlieboy
USER since 1/23/08
Thinking about the "Texas-Rig" style... What do ya'all think? Like 'em, Hate 'em? Particularly interested in hearing how you are transporting and storing. Can you just throw ' em in the bag all together, or got to do something special?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
8/9/16 @ 11:15 PM
jwheels
jwheels
USER since 11/27/10

Use a carabiner through the loops to keep them together. this allows you to put them in a bag with other types of decoys and you clip the carabiner to the loop of the bag. 

ALSO, tie a loop knot just about the decoys with all of the lines. Carabiner in the right hand, left hand holding all of the lines just above the decoys, tie a loose knot with the right hand around the left hand, if that makes sense. 

I keep about a dozen decoys together in a knot. This allows you to store/pack different species in managable numbers.

If you do make your own, be precise with your line measurements. I did it haphazardly the first time and some were shorter and some were longer and it created some storage/packing issues.

Post Your Comment
8/7/16 @ 8:11 AM
Blowing feathers
Blowing feathers
USER since 2/15/16

4 oz tangle free weights are on sale at Presley outdoors for 4.99 a dozen I bought 10 dozen and 500 ft of tangle free cord for 90 bucks including shipping now one of these days I can do some work 

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 9:32 PM
charlieboy
charlieboy
USER since 1/23/08
Got some. First impressions positive. Got two kinds. On the one the line is fixed, the weights slide and the connecting loop is on the bottom of the rig. Second type the wieght is fixed at the bottom, the loop is at the tip and the line slides through the swivel connector.

The second are better... they pick up less gunk= weeds and muck from the bottom.

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 7:27 AM
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10
need to use 200lb-400lb monofilament decoy cord for texas rigging. Cabelas has it for $14. The black tangle free cord is junk. It will break at the crimps or stretch and break on the throw.

Post Your Comment
10/19/15 @ 7:26 AM
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10
need to use 200lb-400lb monofilament decoy cord for texas rigging. Cabelas has it for $14. The black tangle free cord is junk. It will break at the crimps or stretch and break on the throw.

Post Your Comment
10/10/15 @ 7:12 PM
Shad
Shad
USER since 8/27/01
I do not know what the weights look like, but the cord is awful. I have lost numerous strings this year as the tangle free cord breaks after some use, junk in my opinion.

Post Your Comment
10/6/15 @ 8:58 AM
FisherofMen64
FisherofMen64
USER since 9/15/15
It all depends on how you take care of them. They are great if you take the time to put all the ends together. Great way to organize things and keeps them simple to use. I'd choose these over the typical set up of wrapping cord around the keels. They can still make a mess if you just throw them all together in a bag. I keep my ends together and hang them for storage, it works great.

Post Your Comment
10/6/15 @ 12:00 AM
Big Sky
Big Sky
USER since 11/5/01
Borrow your neighbors to see if you like them. Haha.

I was leery but like them. Remember, I use slotted bags vs your mesh. Still think they would work ok in a bag if cords aren't too long. Think 4oz are plenty for your dekes.

Post Your Comment