Otter Sled

3/12/14 @ 10:34 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Quackquack
Quackquack
USER since 10/30/12
Question for you all. I Would like to use a otter sled or similar type sled for duck hunting. I would have 2 layout blinds 2 guns 2-3 dozen decoys and 2 blind bags im not positive but I would guess some ware near 100 pounds total in it. I would be dragging it 1/4-1/2 miles on bare ground to pot holes. So my question to you guys before I spend 100$ on a sled is this gonna work ok or am I better off carrying and back packing every thing. Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
6/5/14 @ 9:18 PM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
USER since 2/9/03
I towed many different kinds of sleds for years on walk in spots. Get a garden cart, a bike and tow behind cart, a canoe cart or anything on wheels. You will bust your balls with that sled on dry ground. Even the rain doesn't help and your towing a lot of gear there. The only place that sled will work well is behind an atv, in the water or on snow. I have gone the way of a high quality decoy bag and shell belt. Some of my spots are over three miles worth of walking. I appreciate the decoy bag much more. You'll be surprised how much better ducks work when you get to the hard to reach spots and have less gear for them to see. Although comfortable, the layout blinds are not needed unless you have zero cover. Get a mud seat.

Edited on 6/5/14 9:24 PM
Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 6:58 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
I use both an otter an a game cart depending on where I am.

Game cart is nice , you need to be aware of the wheels though. Any decoys or bags etc can get ruined by rubbing on the turning wheels.

Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 9:38 AM
bottomland
bottomland
USER since 11/15/12
why not get a game cart

Post Your Comment
4/25/14 @ 8:07 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Bare ground, concrete, gravel, etc. Will tear up the bottom of any plastic sled. If its not exclusively used in water, stop at Goodwill and get a cheap pair of cross country skis. Cut them to size, a bolt through each end with a dab of marine grade silicone and that will prolong the life of the sled by years.

Post Your Comment
4/24/14 @ 9:11 AM
eyeslayer007
eyeslayer007
USER since 1/27/14
Just don't get a jet sled them are the worst for dragging on bare ground.

Post Your Comment
3/13/14 @ 9:00 PM
Crappie_king
Crappie_king
USER since 8/1/01
This is the larger of the otter sleds. They fill up very fast and become real heavy. A few demes and gear and its full. It is a tough drag by hand.

Post Your Comment
3/13/14 @ 8:35 PM
Crappie_king
Crappie_king
USER since 8/1/01
All that stuff you mentioned will be a horrible drag with a big otter sled. Not to mention, you wouldn't fit half the stuff you mentioned in it. A sled like that weighted down does not pull well over wet cattails or long grass, it just doesn't. If the grass is frosty, it will pull nice, but when your coming out after a morning hunt, usually the frost is gone. I will post a pic of the bigger otter sled with about a doz goose floaters and couple doz mallards in it and see how full it is. I use this pulling behind and ATV at this spot so its easy.

Post Your Comment
3/13/14 @ 3:32 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
I should also mention that Cabela's and Mack's sell higher end decoy bags that have quality shoulder and waist straps for handling heavier loads. There is a pocket to strap your gun on the side of the pack and also a detachable pouch for a motion decoy. I use mine for long hikes in North Dakota every year and it works great. I easily haul 2-1/2 dozen full size decoys and have hands free to carry my light weight layout blind.

Post Your Comment
3/13/14 @ 10:49 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
You're going to need one of the larger Otter's in order to haul that much gear. I just got one over the holidays and was surprised how heavy it was and how much tougher it is to pull ( even relatively empty and over snow) than my smaller Otter. If I were you, I'd be looking for another way to get the job done.

Post Your Comment
3/13/14 @ 7:32 AM
scrub
scrub
USER since 8/15/06
Some small hooks or screws on sides of the sled and get some of that cargo netting for containment.....

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts