SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

Killing local geese

5/26/17 @ 3:46 PM
INITIAL POST
Quackkills
User since 5/15/17
Why do I keep hearing privet contractors going to lakes and parks netting all the geese taking them to a place gassing them all and burning them. I know they did it in the whitewater area last year and screwed the hunting in that area. How is this legal. Including oiling the eggs 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
8/3/17 @ 1:56 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

It is nice to see other people are fed up with the non-sense.  Cracked me up last year when a young guy asked if I wanted to hunt with him because I was stealing his birds.  I never call to birds going into someone else unless they pass them...then it is fair game and I can out call them so they want to be jerks.  Didn't know their was ownership to birds in the air.  But because someone is better than you doesn't mean you have to be a jerk.

7/26/17 @ 7:53 PM
Duckmusky
Duckmusky
User since 12/31/11

Hey long barrel I feel the same way.  To me duck hunting has unwritten etiquette.  Kind of like golf.  There is a huge lack of it.  I used to break out my calls months before season, read articles, watch education videos, but now I sit in my tree instead.  I'm hoping people start to lose interest by the time my 2 boys are of age to hunt because I would love to duck hunt with them and teach them the respect that comes with the sport.  One is 5 the other is 15 months so I have some time yet.

7/25/17 @ 3:02 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

DuckWidow,  I know it was 1 then 2...it was like 1 oct then nov 2.  I don't even remember.  I stopped doing it because everyone ruined the good spots in my area.  Littering,  sky busting,  no respect for a hunter when birds are working their decoys.  I just can't stand the BS other hunters were doing.  I'm more irritated with hunters more than the rules or limits. 

I'd set out a few DZ decoys to kill one stinking goose.  then like a kid in a candy store when it went to two.  

Now it's just the same ole crap all over.  no respect for the game or others. 

I bang on the geese as worthless,  it's more so idiots out there that feel entitled to setup on top of you or take pop shots at your group when the birds are working back.  Losers.  I hate this state.  Throw ducks in there too.  i'm done going out on opening day 8 hours before opener for some Ahole to come set up 30 yards from me 10 minutes before opener.  WI hunters,  probably 80% are just losers.

7/24/17 @ 1:19 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

Of course lake-link will not fix your comments.

Still no answer if mallards are considered non-migratory since some stay all winter in wisconsin.

7/21/17 @ 1:11 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

Please tell me where thy are in the dead of winter.  Guess they are all in your yard.  As I stated genius, when their is 2 feet of snow and below zero temps, they leave...to go to your yard.

Good points by other post.  Today's generation is kill, kill, kill...maybe they should join the Marines.

7/21/17 @ 7:24 AM
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

I can't believe some of the total B.S. i'm reading on this post! First, you guys complain there are no birds. Now you complain there are too many and they are a pain. Duck Widow is correct about short seasons, closing seasons etc. You should thank your lucky stars that the number of birds that are here, ARE here! IF they are that big of a pain in the rear, then put on some decent conservation thoughts about dealing with them or don't say anything. Blatantly killing them, or gassing them, well now that really helps doesn't it. 40 plus years of Waterfowling and this is the "up and coming" new wave of how Waterfowlers think? A good farmer puts up with animal crap, I don't think a little goose or duck crap is going to end the world and wreck an entire park. How about all the litter and dog crap? Don't hear any complaints about that. Maybe time for a little re-evaluation here!

7/20/17 @ 4:27 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

First, the limit on geese was as low as 1 a day for 10 days.  Maybe lower if I go further back (so pretty lenient now with 2 per day for 90 days and 5 per day for 15 days.  Yes, giants were never here before.

So Mallards are here year round also.  So do some of you geniuses feel they are not migratory either?  Same fight every year.  99% of geese leave during the toughest parts of the winter and on bad years that is closer to 100%.  Granted they come back on the first warm spell...

No animal should ever be gas'd for its existence.

7/18/17 @ 10:01 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Because they are flying carp and chit all over.   the parks are impossible to even walk or fish a shoreline.  Gas em all.  This state is lame anyway.  2 winged rats a day.  that's an absolute FWOT and money. 

I used to be hard core into geese too when i was younger.  I'd run out,  set out 4 dozen decoys,  go back to the trucks,  get back and shoot 2 in 10 minutes.  I spent more time putting our decoys than hunting.  For the price and the limits in this state,  i'd rather watch the WNBA.

7/13/17 @ 9:29 AM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

The problem birds are in the city were hunting isn't legal. Couple that with the fact that the juveniles are just starting to fly (I actually have a flock of 6 that are still in down) and they don't leave the immediate area. Now you want to drive more into these areas by opening up hunting (live birds in the city make great decoys)? This happens every fall when hunting starts as it is and the birds are not leery at all. You almost have to hit them with something to get them to move. Yes, you might kill off a few outside the city but those aren't the problem birds anyways.

7/13/17 @ 9:10 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Since the problem geese are here when the true migrants are up north yet, why not make them an unprotected species until September 1st? The geese would either become very shy and wary or be dead. Either way they are not screwing up golf courses and peoples property. They are nothing more than winged rats in the local environments found today. Mrt. 

7/12/17 @ 3:47 PM
Lundguy2
User since 4/22/15
They are "Canadian geese" right? Shouldnt they be nesting in CANADA right now?  I was watching a rerun of Outdoor wi, in which Dan Small was goose hunting in Oz co. The guy he was with even showed the difference between a migratory bird and a resident bird...last I checked this isn't Canada.
7/9/17 @ 9:08 AM
lawdog616
lawdog616
PRO MEMBER User since 1/20/04

Geese never used to nest this far south when I was a kid.  You only saw geese in the fall and spring migrating.

Now we have nesting geese everywhere and the mess they leave behind is awful.

Not enough hunting of geese anymore, blame some of that on just the number of hunters around and also the cost.  Was a whole different game when you could use your grouse gun and birdshot to knock em down.

A few communities near us have started to kill the geese and give them to locals who sign up for the donation.

7/7/17 @ 2:39 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

Even Green Lake geese leave for at least a couple of weeks during the dead of winter.  The last few mild winters has kept them around longer than normal with a quicker return.  A migration is a migration...bottomline.

7/3/17 @ 7:30 PM
870man
User since 2/13/02

We have geese that hang around Big Green Lake area all winter.  As long as there is open water, they will stick around till spring migration.

6/29/17 @ 5:31 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

What am I wrong about?  All geese migrate as I am as far south in Wisconsin as you can possibly get and during cold temperatures and lots of snow on the ground, there are no geese around.  Proven fact, therefore they must migrate.  Yes, catch up...I realize there are many species of canadian geese and although contrary to what the DNR says, if they leave the state, then that is considered a migration.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE