LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

It's about time!!! No more goose registration!!

9/22/17 @ 1:22 PM
INITIAL POST
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
10/1/17 @ 9:17 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
Untagged and unregistered goose stroganoff. Damn good!
9/28/17 @ 4:57 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

9/28/17 @ 4:55 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Wrong. There was no tag for geese for the beginning of this years season but you did have to call and register them. That law has changed since then and effective now that there is no tag AND you no longer have to call them in. 

It was a moronic law and good riddance to it. 

9/28/17 @ 4:19 PM
Lunkerhunt85
User since 5/10/14
You have to call in the geese. You just don't have to punch a tag anymore.
9/25/17 @ 5:01 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

At least 3 times the amount of geese killed get crippled and end up dieing based on what I see in the field so the count was never accurate.  Also many people I know would never report their kills.  So I guess what will continue to happen is the MVP population will continue to decline.  The DNR can keep using their excuse that migrators are stopping along the way and never make it to horicon.  Anyone with an once of common sense who spends a lot of time in the field knows that the migration days are less, the amount of flocks migrating is less, and the amount of birds per migrating flock is way less.  I know there is always some that disagree just to disagree but I can't believe I am the only 1 that has noticed these things over the last 50 years.

9/25/17 @ 8:08 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I would also add that the HIP survey may be broad but as an overall average, should be more than sufficient to manage a goose population. It may even be more accurate than registering. While one person may enhance their hunting prowess in HIP reporting, the next may under report. But the average is there. There's no telling how many geese were shot and not called in to register. There's just no need to have an exact count.

9/25/17 @ 7:58 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I'm sure after decades of keeping track, they have a good grasp on how many are killed. No other state anywhere has goose registration and they seem to be doing just fine. The registration here was used to keep track of the MVP population and not go over a 60,000 bird quota. We've never come close to it. 

I am certain that it was only kept active as a source of revenue for the $180 fine for either not punching or not calling each bird. To micromanage geese to that level is trivial and moronic. 

It's for the Feds to decide but the next step should be bumping the limit up to 3/day. 

9/25/17 @ 7:27 AM
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

That's great...except, how are they going to get some sort of an accurate account of how many birds have been harvested? H.I.P. is very "broad" in it's accuracy. How will this affect what the Fed's set for the next seasons? Something to consider..Just sayn..

9/23/17 @ 11:46 AM
duckmaster33.
User since 12/15/10

You don't have to call in.

9/23/17 @ 8:34 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

They still want you to call them in though.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE