Grand RIver Marsh

9/23/05 @ 7:23 PM
ORIGINAL POST
skybuster1969
skybuster1969
USER since 10/22/03
Has any one been down the canal off of county B and out in the marsh yet . If so could you please let me know how much work it will be this year . Your responses will be extremely appreciated . Thanks Again Dave

Post Your Comment
Displaying 20 to 29 of 98 Posts
9/10/10 @ 11:59 PM
Draketaker
Draketaker
USER since 9/27/09
Not true at all. They had their normal draw down to get rid of the carp that came in with 2 years ago huge flood and the damn was put to its normal height as always in mid August and there has been basically no rain since then. So the getting to spots that havent been reached in years is a falacy. Makes no difference that we got 21 inches of rain this summer if the damn is set for a draw down, which it was.

Post Your Comment
8/29/10 @ 10:23 AM
870man
870man
USER since 2/13/02
I heard thru the grape vine that the water levels have stablized out there and it is in good shape...Alot of areas are reachable with a duck skiff that havent been in years,,,,,

Post Your Comment
8/29/10 @ 9:07 AM
Jermtheworm33
Jermtheworm33
USER since 1/1/08
Anyone been around here this year to check the water levels?

I am assuming that they will be very high with all the rain we got this summer but you never know I guess.

Post Your Comment
11/14/09 @ 5:53 PM
Reel Finny
Reel Finny
USER since 6/21/07
Thanks for the report.

Post Your Comment
11/14/09 @ 5:35 PM
Draketaker
Draketaker
USER since 9/27/09
Water levels are OK. But there are very few birds out there. Sat last friday for 7 hours and 3 of us pulled the trigger 1 time !! Been very slow for 2 weeks now. The geese just arent here this year in numbers either.

Post Your Comment
11/13/09 @ 4:20 PM
Reel Finny
Reel Finny
USER since 6/21/07
Been kind of quiet on this thread lately. How are the water levels?

Post Your Comment
10/12/09 @ 5:10 AM
JEYESLAYER
JEYESLAYER
USER since 2/8/06
No geese I think not the geese are just using more areas inaccessible to hunters like walmart ponds, Highway drainage ponds, and golf courses, they are still using corn fields though. Just my 2 cents. Oh ya alot of ducks are using these refuges also! Used to live on Horicon Marsh not the numbers of geese out there either but there still around. Maybe the states down south should have limits like we have to content with! to save the MVP flock.

Post Your Comment
10/11/09 @ 9:59 PM
Jermtheworm33
Jermtheworm33
USER since 1/1/08
Sorry you couldn't make it out there Quacked...that's never fun.I was out for he opener and some of the guys I hunt with did well and others not so well...Unfortunetly I was one of the not so well-ers and left after 3 days of hunting with a couple woodies and a mallard.Others limited out so all in all it was a fun weekend. I'm hoping to get back out there soon but I'll have to see how things play out.

Good Luck Hunting All!

Post Your Comment
10/11/09 @ 8:43 PM
claybreaker01
claybreaker01
USER since 11/27/05
Goose numbers are down. Way down. GRM used to hold well over 100k at peak. It is actually a good indicator of overall MVP population as GRM reliably holds 10-15% of the MVP population at peak. This year that would mean 35-60,000 or half of what it was in recent memory. Honestly, I haven't even seen that many birds around the heart of the Horicon zone either. If you were to equate this years breeding bird estimate with years past, at 239k, it is the second lowest since they have been keeping records (by 2,000 birds). Populations of 300k caused early shutdowns in the exterior, and Horicon hunters to only get one tag. Yet now with historical lows, we can kill 2 a day in exterior, and Horicon hunters get what, 6 tags and longer seasons? Nice. We used to watch flock after flock head down to the Arlington Prairie from GRM. We would see thousands of geese in a morning hunt. Now I feel lucky to see 100 geese. Something is seriously wrong, and I hope someone wakes up to it real soon before the MVP disappears.

Post Your Comment
10/11/09 @ 7:53 PM
Draketaker
Draketaker
USER since 9/27/09
Little hunting pressure ? ?

It looked like opening day out there on Sat. the 10th with guys every 100 yards !!! Which I dont get because it is a pain to get out there and the shooting has been slower than most years. In addition goose numbers seem to be really down and talking with DNR people they agree GR doesnt hold nearly the geese it used too.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 20 to 29 of 98 Posts