Float Tubes

5/20/14 @ 4:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
mike51098
mike51098
USER since 1/10/08
I don't have a dog or a boat. I've found a couple places to duck hunt. One is about a mile hike, another just might be a place a float tube could work. I'm thinking a float tube might be easy enough to carry, then fill up after a hunt to help me with any retrieves I may need. What's everyone's thought on this? How do you 'row' a float tube? Anyone use one for hunting?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
6/17/14 @ 9:40 AM
SLM
SLM
USER since 1/10/07
I have a brand new float tube in the box if anyone is interested. $40 plus shipping.

Post Your Comment
5/26/14 @ 7:09 PM
flyguy329
flyguy329
USER since 1/25/06
Ive hunted from them as well. Heres my thoughts based on your information.

They are not the most ideal "watercraft" for duck hunting. A little awkward and kind of slow getting around. However, if your walking back a mile it might be the best option for mobility. Based on that Id get the float tube. Strap it to your back and go.

Ive seen a fair share of these things at yard sales for very cheap. Might be something you could pick up used and just hide it in the grass.

Heres on for 15 in madison

http://madison.craigslist.org/spo/4387037442.html

Edited on 5/26/14 7:38 PM
Post Your Comment
5/21/14 @ 11:24 AM
MarquetteCtyOutdoorsman
MarquetteCtyOutdoorsman
USER since 10/13/05
We use a float tube for retrieving some of our birds. Collapsible paddle fits in the pocket for when the water gets deeper, otherwise you just push off the bottom with your feet. Sometimes you have to go the long way around to get the bird to be able to stay in shallower water longer. And it isn't much fun chasing the wounded birds. They can swim much faster then you can paddle or walk. Just have to be relentless and they will tire.

Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 8:45 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Used to fish from one with flippers. Shooting crips with flippers will be fun as you will facing away from them. And plan on moving backwards if you shoot from it.

but as a way to cross a patch of water to get to a dry spot...could work great as long as the water stays below the top of your waders while sitting in it and you get the flippers over your waders.

Post Your Comment
5/20/14 @ 5:37 PM
Brad
Brad
USER since 6/19/01
Don't own one, but I've seen them. "row" with scuba flippers... tough sledding in weeds, but ya use what you have or what works for where you want to hunt.

Personally, I'd consider purchasing a small boat, especially if you could drag or cart it back to where you want to hunt, but I'm not 18 anymore.

Do your research and I hope you enjoy your hunt however you decide to do it.

Brad

Post Your Comment