First time on the Mississippi

11/5/14 @ 7:01 AM
ORIGINAL POST
eyeslayer007
eyeslayer007
USER since 1/27/14
The weekend before Wisconsin gun opener me and a couple of buddies are coming out to the Mississippi for the first time. We are going to be hunting pool 9 out of Ferryville and I'm looking for any advice as far as how public lands are and what kinds of birds will still be around. Any advice would be appreciated and feel free to pm me thanks guys and good luck!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
11/29/14 @ 11:32 AM
Rip-A-Lip 86
Rip-A-Lip 86
USER since 8/26/09
Recker... Guys flock to the Mississippi because it's a main flyway that is followed by ducks on their trip down south. Just as any other place, it's hit or miss. All the pools hold ducks but pool 9 is where we hunt. When it's good, it's REAL good! Big Smile

Edited on 11/29/14 11:34 AM
Post Your Comment
11/16/14 @ 3:22 PM
recker44
recker44
USER since 12/8/09
Probably froze stiff by now but I hear it is really crowded. I know its written up a lot in magazines but what is so great about it other then getting a can which you can do in other Miss pools as well? Just curious.

Post Your Comment
11/13/14 @ 8:54 PM
bnkrnr
bnkrnr
USER since 1/25/11
few we popped this weekend.

Post Your Comment
11/8/14 @ 11:13 AM
hunt91
hunt91
USER since 3/27/09
I hunt down in pool 11 but some of this might help. Right now it's pretty slow but this front coming through should stir a lot up. Have at least 2-3 spots in mind in case someone beats you out, usually you can plan on people getting to the landing about two hours before shooting light on the weekends, some even earlier. We haven't seen much of a push yet this season but if this year is like past years there should be plenty of cans and mallards. We also tend to get a decent amount of GWT, mergs, and bills. Take it slow because there are a lot of sandbars and stump fields around the miss. I would also plan on small bays being locked up and having to break ice to launch your boat. With the way the weather looks I will only be able to launch at one of my spots because the other landings will have too much ice to break through. Try and hunt spots that will stay open with the current, or bring an ice eater or even a jerk rig to keep your blocks from locking up. Now to beat the horse: Safety is huge! Especially with the cold weather we're gonna have, take your time walking around and boating out, if you fall in your hunt is over. No amount of birds is worth your life. Shoot straight and hunt safe bud!

Post Your Comment