Decoy flocking

9/7/13 @ 10:17 AM
ORIGINAL POST
311painter
311painter
USER since 3/20/04
Looking for info and locations to buy the best flocking for decoys. I have 6 dozen full body goose decoys and will do the flocking myself. Any help would be appreciated.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
7/16/14 @ 5:49 PM
IceRat
IceRat
USER since 12/1/02
X2 rustolium.

I've been told from a custom decoy maker that gloss holds up better than flat, however I haven't used gloss yet. Aero is a good place for flocking or Flockit. Wire brush and clean decoy well before applying adhesive.

Edited on 7/16/14 5:50 PM
Post Your Comment
7/16/14 @ 10:01 AM
Bobber86
Bobber86
USER since 1/17/06
I just bought some decoys that have just black plastic heads. Can I flock these. Will it hold or stick to heads?

Edited on 7/16/14 1:24 PM
Post Your Comment
2/2/14 @ 8:14 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
USER since 6/17/01
You don't need more than 1/4 lb if you are doing 6 dozen. Those kits say you can only do like 2 dozen. Trust me, it goes a long way. I bought 1 lb and have flocked hundreds of decoys and still have alot left. Pre prep of the decoys is very important. Wash with a good oil removing soap and dry. Apply a thick heavy layer of rustoleum. Not that it's dripping but a heavy coat. Hold the head over something to catch the extra flock and dump it on heavy. Some people like to press it in, I just do 2 coats.

Bought mine on ebay for cheap.

Post Your Comment
2/2/14 @ 4:31 PM
Quack Shot
Quack Shot
USER since 8/7/11
I just re flocked a bunch of decoys, and flocked some others that had never been done before. The flocking did not stick to the heads. I read online that rustoleum flat black was best to use. Did i just not put the paint on thick enough? any other ideas would help too!

Post Your Comment
9/8/13 @ 8:32 AM
P&Y-Junkie
P&Y-Junkie
USER since 3/2/12
you can buy flocking in bulk from aerooutdoors.com

Post Your Comment