Calls

1/9/16 @ 11:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
breal
breal
USER since 10/12/10
In the market to buy a couple new calls. I have been browsing the magazines, Internet and the main stores. Figured I am going all out this time, going to buy a big dollar goose and duck call. But, wow, the options? Brands, size, reeds, material, color, etc. So I thought I'd see what you guys are using, like and don't like. Then I was wondering do you walk up to a counter ask to see one and lay into it right in the store? And if you order one off the web or out of a magazine. Do you open it up, try it and send it back if you don't like it or add it to the collection on a shelf? I have a couple old Haydels and big rivers calls. Appears they work alright, sometimes. But I figured if I purchase a couple expensive ones, they got to work every time (Just joking).
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
1/11/16 @ 5:10 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
Tim Grounds Calls. Tim himself is just a stand up guy. He will do whatever possible to help you out/ service your call. But now after looking into the RM calls, after Caz mentioned them. Priced fair. I've been shopping around myself, looking to pick up a single reed. Caz, Can you find them anywhere, other than on their website? thx.

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 9:59 AM
CazTrait
CazTrait
USER since 6/15/01
http://www.rmcustomcalls.com/

Get a pre-built GD or CWF

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 9:03 AM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
You can also go to the deer turkey expo in Madison. I have tried calls there. I have an original RNT single reed acrylic that sounds great. I have now shifted to Fowl Obsession Calls. I loved the sound of the belly up double reed and that is my go to call.

I have buddies using echo calls and like them and some even have some Duck Commander calls. I can not stand toxic calls at all. My buddy was a staffer for them for one year and gave me a couple to try. They sounded terrible.

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 8:11 AM
Rip-A-Lip 86
Rip-A-Lip 86
USER since 8/26/09
Absolutely ask to try them out because everyone's style is different. You may not like the same call that I do based on how you use the call.

RNT DC Mondo is my go to single reed. Takes a decent amount of air to work this call but has a nice rasp to it. Sounds like an old pissed off hen. Lynch Mob Jezebel is another great call. Its a double reed out of the box but can be run as a single reed with a little work. Sounds super ducky. A perfect call for hails and bouncing hens.

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 6:41 AM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
Each person is different I personally like a single reed timber call. Seems you can get it really raspy and can jump up and do some high volume stuff. As far as goose call your going to have to try them all because everyone is going to sound different and do different things for you. I personally don't own a call over 20 bucks I use the Canada hammer, rnt quack head timber, rnt quack head speck call, and a Hadels teal call. My buddy's have the zinc atm mallard call (double reed) and rnt acrylic short barrel (single reed). One also has a zinc short reed acrylic and the other still has a foiles straight meat or something like that. All really nice calls just not going to put 400 bucks on my lanyard.

Post Your Comment
1/10/16 @ 5:40 PM
SHEEPD0G
SHEEPD0G
USER since 5/22/12
Go to a store like cabelas and try them out to see what you like, as every call is different. Most places don't allow returns of calls for sanitary reasons, but I have seen cabelas take them back if they're "new". I personally prefer Zink calls and have an NOS, COD, and an ATM on my lanyard. I've also got a North Bay Game Calls Dweeter and an Echo Timber on the lanyard as well. Each call has a time and place depending on the birds that day as some are loud and some are quieter, and have different sounds and tones depending on if it's acrylic or wood. It's mostly personal preference, the birds will respond to any call if it's blown at the right time and place.

Post Your Comment