Best shell

10/9/15 @ 8:17 AM
ORIGINAL POST
eyeslayer007
eyeslayer007
USER since 1/27/14
What is the best kind of shells in your opinion? I used to use Winchester super x but now i don't like it as much. been seeing allot about Kent steel might give that a try what's everyone else using.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts
11/15/15 @ 2:57 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
In the group of guys I hunt with we shoot 4-5 cases of Kent fast steel every year. I personally shoot a case to a case and a half a year between nodak and Wisconsin. Used to shoot whatever I could get my hands on but in the past 7 years found Kent to be the most consistent and cleanest burning. Also the price is right around middle of the pack usually get it at the beginning of the year for 150 a case. I have had problems with Winchester xpert not firing also had the same problem with the blue box federals but they may have fixed them since I used them last. I also can say that the Kent patterns so good out of my gun (m2) in 3in number 3s with a brileys mid range choke it blows any other shell I've tried out of the water. And for geese the number 1s and a patternmaster long range patterns amazing at 35yds. Get 4 guys together each by a box of shells in all the same size different brands and go pattern them it makes a world of difference when you find the right one. Also the shot speed does make a difference I shoot 1425 1550 same shell and size out of my gun patterns terrible. I also let my birds get close so I don't take many shots out past 35yds

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 10:02 PM
lightning95
lightning95
USER since 1/7/14
Black cloud snow goose is great stuff 3" shells only, but try em and you'll swear by em. Perfect for mallards.

Post Your Comment
11/4/15 @ 3:32 PM
freeguideservice
freeguideservice
USER since 12/4/13
I tried black cloud and it was a hard hitting load but the left over dirty powder would jam my gun all the time. Every dozen shots or so.

Kent Fasteel all the way for me now, hits hard and burns clean. Dont have to clean the black powdery mess off gun after every outing anymore.

Post Your Comment
11/3/15 @ 12:31 PM
Elliebird041214
Elliebird041214
USER since 10/26/15
Hevi Metal all the way!!!

Post Your Comment
11/1/15 @ 8:07 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
My buddy used the hyper steel today. It is a very very hot round 1700 fps when we cleaned birds we found many that the shot went all the way thru. I have been just stoning them this yr with the rem sportsmen 1 1/8 the 1550 fps. Patterns great and just knocks the snot out of them. Number twos with a improved seems to be what my set up likes best. With my full choke the pattern is just to tight for my liking would be great on geese thou.

Post Your Comment
11/1/15 @ 7:42 PM
Rip-A-Lip 86
Rip-A-Lip 86
USER since 8/26/09
Crio IC with Winchester Xperts. Have never had a problem. I think guys worried about the best and biggest shell are the same guys we all hate shooting at those ducks/geese 50 or 60 yards up. Call em close and you won't have any issues.

Post Your Comment
10/15/15 @ 11:21 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
USER since 6/15/15
Its not so much the shell you shoot. Its more about the choke try different brand out of different chokes at multiple yardage. Find what is best for you and stick with that. For me out of my berretta with a cables choke and a pattern master hevi metal and the blue box federals are killers. But i mainly shoot hevi metals.

Post Your Comment
10/15/15 @ 9:40 PM
Brad
Brad
USER since 6/19/01
Big fan of Black Cloud and the Carlson's tube made for these shells. Nice pattern on paper every time and my kill % went up significantly when I switched to this set-up.

Post Your Comment
10/15/15 @ 9:57 AM
Rempump
Rempump
USER since 5/8/03
I like the Kent Fast steel or the winchester rounds. My buddy had issues with Black cloud during our trip to Canada. About 1 in 5 would not go off. The primer had a dent from the firing pin but no boom.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 8:11 PM
adam k
adam k
USER since 12/15/10
i have used Kent silver steel in the past few years and like the results but decided to tried Kent fast steel this year and i am extremely happy with the results. You will only find me this year with fast steel in my blind bag. Also, personally have not yet used Kent fast lead for upland hunting but i know others that have and they were very happy with the result of those loads.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts