Arkansas Advice

12/14/14 @ 9:01 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Shad
Shad
USER since 8/27/01
I am hopeful to head south this winter and looking for suggestions of anyone who has hunted public land in this state, walking in with gear and hunting, good or bad?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
12/14/14 @ 12:12 PM
Rip-A-Lip 86
Rip-A-Lip 86
USER since 8/26/09
Shad, This will be my 4th year going down to Arkansas. We stay for 9 days and usually hunt 6 days in the woods and the rest in pit blinds. Doing this by yourself for the first time will be intimidating. It's a totally different type of hunting. Make sure you can blow a duck call. The more the better and LOUD in the woods. Kicking water, yanking your jerk cords, and keeping your face hidden when ducks are working the treetops is essential. Bringing birds down to your feet will be difficult without doing these things. If hunting the woods, try to do some scouting to find a concentration of birds. Bringing a boat will give you many more options to hunt. Sunny days are your best bet for hunting the woods and cloudy days are best spent in a flooded Rice field. We hunt around the Stuttgart area and it's a blast every year. Keep in mind that when hunting wildlife management areas, hunting closes at noon and you have to be out of the woods by 1p.m. People are extremely friendly unless your in "their spot" which you will find out immediately if someone rolls up on you. We usually go the second week of January. In my opinion, there is no need to hire a guide down there. Any other questions you might have, feel free to ask.

Edited on 12/14/14 12:18 PM
Post Your Comment
12/14/14 @ 11:34 AM