2018 Waterfowl Reports

1/3/18 @ 9:13 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

Another New Year, Post your pics and/or comments here for 2018!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 135 Posts
10/20/18 @ 9:15 PM
Skunkbucket
Skunkbucket
USER since 7/1/18

1 drake woody killed this morning. Missed 2 others.

Less and less wood ducks everyday. Saw a few buffleheads. Slower than I thought it would have been.

Water dropped at least 6" in 24 hrs.

Jefferson county.

Post Your Comment
10/20/18 @ 12:52 PM
lightning95
lightning95
USER since 1/7/14

Tons of birds eager to land in the decoys.  Extremely mixed bag.  Birds flying throughout the morning.  Later was better.

Post Your Comment
10/20/18 @ 11:03 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER since 7/17/09

Another fine morning! 20 degree drop and lots of wind. Partner and i scored 4 apiece. He slam dunked 4 rightaway early and i struggled most of the morning shooting in the high wind. Found redemption scoring two woodys in the gale winds. 

Good push of mallards again. Too much wind, ducks appeared restless and impatient to negotiate the high wind for good decoy shooting. All day flights underway. Mid day hunts a good option.

Waterfowl Paradise, Pool 7 

Reports of capsized duck hunter boat in pool 8, out from Stoddard. Careful folks in the high wind and big water. 

Post Your Comment
10/19/18 @ 7:30 PM
Skunkbucket
Skunkbucket
USER since 7/1/18

Jefferson county.

Few birds seen were flying really high this morning. Shoulda had a drake woody if I'd of been paying attention. Had a little hen wd offer a shot, but let her go. Didn't fire a shot.

Really quiet this morning.

Flood waters dropping steady now.

Post Your Comment
10/19/18 @ 6:43 PM
wack'em & stack'em
wack'em & stack'em
USER since 3/13/10
QUICK SHOT OUT TO THE BLIND TO ADD MORE COVER THIS AFTERNOON. WINDS WERE HOWLING. DIVERS ARE IN SPOOKED APPROX 30 BUFFLEHEADS. AND 10 MALLARDS. HOPE THE WIND SUBSIDES A BIT. LIL BOAT HANDLED AND LITTLE SCARY W/ THE WIND TODAY.

Post Your Comment
10/19/18 @ 12:42 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER since 7/17/09

Great morning hunt today. 4 mallard and 1 wood duck. Pond shooting over decoys. Spread wasnt right but didnt matter today. Cupped wings and orange feet all morning.   Heavy push of mallards in the area, wood ducks getting lighter. Season peak for bird numbers IMO. Its going to be epic this weekend with bird numbers and major front knocking on the door. Black river water dropping back down to happier levels. 

Flyway Highway, Pool 7 bottoms

Post Your Comment
10/18/18 @ 11:10 AM
Skunkbucket
Skunkbucket
USER since 7/1/18

Good mix of ducks flying this morning. Bagged 2 ringneck, 1 woody, 1 mallard.

Also saw bufflehead and shovelers.

Flood waters starting to recede.

Jefferson county

Post Your Comment
10/17/18 @ 11:39 PM
OnTheDeck15
OnTheDeck15
USER since 10/9/17

Hunted from 11-2 and it wasn’t a bad hunt. Ended up with 2 gwt and a nice green head. Got a whopper headache and called it quits early. Watching the dog work made the hunt a memorable one. 2 out of the 3 were tough blinds.

Post Your Comment
10/17/18 @ 9:01 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12

Bigger bodied birds, full plumage, loaded with fat.

Post Your Comment
10/17/18 @ 7:55 PM
PIKE-FAN
PIKE-FAN
USER since 8/4/09

How do you know if they are local or northern? Did you ask them? Seriously though if you have a way to tell where they are from I would like too know. Been tough for us with the high water. Heading out west in a week so hopefully that turns the season around.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 135 Posts