2018 Waterfowl Reports

1/3/18 @ 9:13 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

Another New Year, Post your pics and/or comments here for 2018!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts
4/23/18 @ 12:52 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08

Geese are staring to show up here in larger numbers. I swear they got that" what the hell" look  Current measurement on the Gile flowage was 38 - 40 inches of ice

Post Your Comment
4/23/18 @ 7:30 AM
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

Unfortunately, a large majority of the nested birds that I have been watching for the last couple of weeks, have "lost" their nests. Sand-Hills, Geese and Ducks. Bitter cold, lots of snow, and rising ice and water took it's toll. I'll give em credit, they sat as long as they could. Hopefully, they may try to set again.

Post Your Comment
4/19/18 @ 8:08 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09

It took me almost the whole weekend to find a silver lining to this stupid snow, but I found it while shoveling the end of my driveway for the 10th time late Sunday afternoon as a pair of mallards flew over.

Big snow+big melt= water for a good duck breeding season (hopefully)

Post Your Comment
4/19/18 @ 11:59 AM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Not really a report, but I have been thinking about duck hunting so much lately. I got my shotgun out and swung it a few times, sorted through my old, ancient decoys and decided that I need new ones. Actually, wife's cousin decided I need new ones, with laughter and finger pointing. How long til the season? Too long, if you think about it. 

Post Your Comment
3/27/18 @ 5:25 PM
50fps
50fps
USER since 11/29/10

Although the MZ zone has drifted away from it's original intent it all comes back to what input has given at the meetings and hearings.

The LMZ was given a chance, yet the support for it wasn't there.

Post Your Comment
3/19/18 @ 6:57 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER since 2/6/09

Birds are back! Seen geese and mallards paired up! Never shortage of water in God's country!

Post Your Comment
3/18/18 @ 8:00 AM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08

Definitely lost opportunity. I could have seen possibly changing the north/south boundary if anything. I think the current structure, while not perfect, was best for everyone in the state. 

Edited on 3/18/18 8:37 AM
Post Your Comment
3/17/18 @ 10:18 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
USER since 6/17/01

What has been improved? We have lost oppertunity with what has been offered this year.

Post Your Comment
3/17/18 @ 9:33 PM
Brad
Brad
USER since 6/19/01

I like the idea of  a state wide-opener and getting rid of the goose zones.

I'd prefer the opener was a week later, but Sept 29 isn't too bad.

I would prefer to see the early teal and goose season go away.

IMHO, this is an improvement over what we've had.

Post Your Comment
3/15/18 @ 3:11 PM
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

We are definetley lacking water. Wisconsin River is very low. Fox River, the same. Potholes in and around the area are drying up. The concerning part is if the local ducks nest, and we get late heavy rains, like we did a few years ago, the nests will be lost. If that doesn't happen, then there is the possibilty that the hen may have to try and get the hatch to water that is a huge hike away. That would leave her and the hatch at the mercy of the predators.

If we got some decent rain or snow soon, then there is the strong possibilty that the Spring Hatch will be fine. As it looks right now...not so good. I'm crossing my fingers...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts