2018 Waterfowl Reports

1/3/18 @ 9:13 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

Another New Year, Post your pics and/or comments here for 2018!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 60 Posts
9/17/18 @ 9:24 PM
Benelli 12
Benelli 12
USER since 6/19/01

If my recent scouting trips,  and daily driving around Dane county while working are any indication . There will be plenty of opportunities come opening morning ! LOTS OF WATER  , lots of places for ducks to be, some corn coming down will help where I will be setup.

No shortage of teal, woodies, mallards, shoovies... saw a large contingent of gads on one marsh, Pintails on another. The big water is holding ringers. Looks like a drop in temps coming will make for a comfortable opener. And don't worry the teal will be here through October. 

Good luck and just enjoy the time afield... 

Post Your Comment
9/17/18 @ 6:44 PM
nocfisher
nocfisher
USER since 5/27/17

Where abouts did you see the teal.And no worries i won't be hunting that spot.Just wondering if there still around shiocton area.

Post Your Comment
9/17/18 @ 7:35 AM
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

Seen a lot of Blue wing Teal yesterday, not much for Honkers. Also seen a few more Mallards, a couple of Ring necks and the pleasure of 6 Canvasbacks slowly flew by. Kinda of encouraging. Talked with some kids who were out with their Dad for the first time and they had a blast. Said they really enjoyed it. That was great to hear.

Post Your Comment
9/16/18 @ 3:21 PM
birdin 24/7
birdin 24/7
USER since 12/8/13

Anyone have a good recipe for mosquitoes? Hard to see the geese coming through the swarms of mosquitoes in your face.

Post Your Comment
9/6/18 @ 1:31 PM
duckwidow
duckwidow
USER since 11/12/05

Best early season I have ever seen for BWT.  Unfortunately they do not stay long.

Post Your Comment
9/6/18 @ 7:57 AM
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

Well, the rain has stopped for now. Thank God! So, with the cooler temps coming in and a little North/ Northwest winds, I would expect to see Canadian Migrators to start trickling in. Slowly but surely. The only downfall I see is that they can find a spot to roost just about anywhere with all the water. It can only get better!

Post Your Comment
9/6/18 @ 1:32 AM
Pokerduck
Pokerduck
USER since 7/14/10

danio, I'm taking my son and his buddy out to Horicon for the Youth hunt.  How was the water level, we were going to go out scouting on Saturday I am assuming the water is very high for a change.  Last year we were able to get in pretty deep even with an outboard.  Thanks for any input.

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 9:44 PM
PIKE-FAN
PIKE-FAN
USER since 8/4/09

I noticed a lot of early shooting with the teal season. Although from the groups I've witnessed they were shooting at teal. Been the worst teal season for me yet. Having trouble finding anything besides wood ducks and mallards this year. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of bluewings around right now.

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 6:32 PM
nocfisher
nocfisher
USER since 5/27/17

First of all there was ice on most lakes and ponds north of hwy 8 when the blizzard came in.South of there no doudt it did a number on the geese,but most ducks were not nesting yet.So lets hope.And if you read the nesting pair reports in canada it did show very dry areas and not more then a 100 miles there was plenty of water.wisconsin nesting pairs were average for most part,Teal are down but they also state they may be changing there nesting areas.

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 11:55 AM
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

Thanks, you also!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 60 Posts