2017 Waterfowl Reports

1/1/17 @ 6:31 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

2017 is here! Post your reports, conditions etc, here. Let us know what's going on!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
3/14/17 @ 7:30 PM
BigBB
BigBB
USER since 1/4/08
Second try with pic:

Edited on 3/14/17 7:31 PM
Post Your Comment
3/14/17 @ 7:21 PM
BigBB
BigBB
USER since 1/4/08

Bluebills, cans and redheads at a central WI lake last Saturday:

Post Your Comment
2/28/17 @ 9:20 PM
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

If we had the type of flight thru Wisconsin in the fall like we do in the Spring, it would be great. The bad part is that really changed decades ago. Documented studies have shown for many,many years, the Fall Migration has shifted more to the West and after coming down, they swing over more towards the East once past the Dakotas. In the Spring, we get more of a flight thru here as they head back North. It doesn't help for hunting, but it sure allows for some great viewing with the birds being in full plumage for mating season. I have to say some really spectacular photos of birds have been posted on L.L. over the years.

Post Your Comment
2/28/17 @ 12:45 PM
AlreadyGone
AlreadyGone
USER since 9/7/11

Amazing to me how many guys see the spring migration and claim that the numbers are what they are, and where they should be.

You are kidding yourselves again. Ignorance is bliss.

So be it.

Post Your Comment
2/27/17 @ 12:35 PM
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

DuckJunkie, looking at the calender, I would say it's a pretty safe bet that the South Zone will open Sept. 30th. They normaly stay with the date closest to the first Saturday in October. Normaly. We'll see what they come up with. There are tons of Waterfowl everywhere! Great to see!

Post Your Comment
2/27/17 @ 8:29 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10

JS,  I "second" that. And the amount of birds coming through right now is awesome. Started here in the southern part about two weeks ago. First was the huge flocks of Canadas. Even seen some white front. And now the last week here, the ducks really moved in. Pretty much any large flooded area in a field has ducks sitting on it. Seen some cans and grinners yesterday. And NO, I guarantee half the "duck hunters" haven't noticed and wont. And don't care. Until they're sitting in their public, easy access, over hunted, "great hunting spot" and not seeing or shooting anything. Then the complaining  starts, "where are the birds?", "there's no birds here", " the numbers are BS", etc. I let it go last year, kept it to myself. But the last week of goose season. I seen more ducks in three days, in January, than the three months before that.? Just saying. Hoping to have a early day this week, want to bring the wife and her camera to a couple spots and take some pics. Before they move on.

Post Your Comment
2/26/17 @ 2:13 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08

I saw one lone goose flying over the Gile flowage on Wednesday.

On another note, does anyone have an inkling on when the openers may be this year. I know they won't set it til April.  

Post Your Comment
2/25/17 @ 10:41 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER since 2/6/09

saw geese on thursday. first time since december.

Post Your Comment
2/25/17 @ 8:02 PM
JS Outdoors
JS Outdoors
USER since 2/28/16

Anybody notice just how many ducks and geese that are around right now? Thousands of each, pretty cool to see. Sure wish we had some sanctuaries, rest areas or something during the fall migration,  to help keep them here longer. IMO we need a change of some sort. If you think the overall numbers are down, take a drive and see for yourself. Not looking for an argument, just pointing out the amazing amount of waterfowl in central WI right now. Let's hope they have a successful nesting season. Cheers ladies and gents

Edited on 2/25/17 8:02 PM
Post Your Comment
1/25/17 @ 5:26 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10

Had to try one last time. The boy and i packed up and went south again, back to Tennessee. I think we passed by majority of the birds, about 350 miles south? Got down there last Thursday and hunted for three days. Had a lot of fun, always a great time with them boys there. But they're struggling also this year. As we did, here. Birds slowly moving down, most that are there have been shot at already, and the weather. 70 flippin degrees one day. I thought the old waders started leaking one afternoon, they were filling up. Nope, no leak, just sweat. Ended up, we shot 25 ducks, no geese. Mallards, teal, wood ducks and gadwall. My son has been saving money for a mount. This year he has been looking to shoot his first for the wall. Had his chance for his pintail and missed. He did shoot a really nice gadwall and greenwinger. He is trying to decide which one. Think ill help him and do both. Now that depressing time comes when we put everything away. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts