2017 Waterfowl Reports

1/1/17 @ 6:31 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09

2017 is here! Post your reports, conditions etc, here. Let us know what's going on!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts
8/12/17 @ 9:55 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

The locals (geese) are up and flying around here (Brice Prairie).

20 days to go?

Post Your Comment
8/12/17 @ 8:47 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER since 2/6/09

season closing in. starting to get tat itchy finger to blast. lots of water around and birds to be had.getting excited for another season!

Post Your Comment
5/4/17 @ 4:43 PM
Walleye Commando
Walleye Commando
USER since 5/1/17

Here are my conditions, reports, predictions etc. For 2017 WI fowling.

Tons of OT put in to afford to go. Have to battle the weekend warriors. Hope to get a spot after getting up at 2am. Hope to pull the trigger at a duck in range. Hope landowners say yes. Hope I dont get shot by the guy that sets up 20 yards from me saying I am in "his" spot even tho I am on public water and my feet are wet. (Waist deep in waders to be exact) Hope jealous hunters don't call me in to the DNR again because I took "their" spot saying I shot over my bag limit when really I got 1 duck. (this happened twice last year). Hope my truck doesn't get paintballed like it did last year in the public lot. Hope the guy next to me lets me shoot my cripple swimming toward him and lets me have it. Hope its not 80 degrees in NOV. Hope the 5.4 in my Ford holds on another year. Hope the mud motor holds on. Hope my lab has the energy for another year. I hope duck hunting stops being a war with other hunters and becomes more enjoyable in the future. But most of all I hope duck numbers actually go up in the future!

Post Your Comment
5/3/17 @ 10:14 AM
freeguideservice
freeguideservice
USER since 12/4/13

Im pretty sure they use HIP records to help judge waterfowl population. But they don't take in to consideration how die hard guys are, most guys shoot a high number of birds no matter how few birds there are.

if records indicate people are having no problem shooting numbers of birds, One would believe there must be a lot of birds around.

They should ask how many days you hunted on HIP survey. I guarantee you would see more days in field and fewer birds harvester every year.

guys will just work harder and put in more time because they enjoy it. THEREFOR THEY SHOOT LOTS OF BIRDS. But numbers are going down.

Post Your Comment
4/12/17 @ 10:08 PM
team benelli
team benelli
USER since 12/8/07

Every year i see less & less birds. But i always shoot the same amount. Just have to work a lot harder wich i do.

the less i see the harder i work.  

Used to see 1000 a day and shoot 6  now i see 20 a day and shoot 2 . 3 days a week instead of 1.  

In summary  less birds = more time in field for me.  Kinda like it 

Post Your Comment
4/9/17 @ 6:49 AM
JS Outdoors
JS Outdoors
USER since 2/28/16

I agree that flight patterns have changed, and it's not nearly as easy to shoot a limit everyday, but to say there isn't any ducks is what's " ignorant."  You can literally drive anywhere in Wisco right now and see plenty. Imagine what a guy would see in the pothole regions. To call me ignorant because I can see ducks with my very own eyes is rediculous. Guys like you need to take up cross stitching so the rest of us have more room to work the birds. Ive only been hunting in WI for 30 yrs, so maybe I'm not as seasoned as you are, but I have seen my fair share of changes also.

" Ignorance is bliss", good grief.

Sorry for the rant guys, keep the positive reports coming, I too cannot wait till fall!!

Edited on 4/9/17 7:34 AM
Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 10:00 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

LOL... nothing like an incoherent post to motivate me to buy someone's product !

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 5:53 AM
jimmymuller
jimmymuller
USER since 6/20/16

I like waterfowl hunting. During waterfowl hunting season come every hunter have only one question in mind, Where are the ducks?
To find ducks you can take help from the map also you can see hunt waterfowl for hunting. You can also use the duck voice device that interact other ducks.  For better duck hunting, you must use choke tube in front of gun. Good luck for duck hunting.

Post Your Comment
3/31/17 @ 2:06 PM
duckwidow
duckwidow
USER since 11/12/05

Even more ducks come through in the fall with all the young ones.  Right now you are seeing mostly everything at once.  Flooded fields spreads them out and they get bugged way less.  Plenty in the fall, the problem is they don't stay.  No spots too rest.  It will be fun again when hunters learn to give ducks a spot to rest during the season.

Post Your Comment
3/31/17 @ 10:18 AM
grizwald
grizwald
USER since 2/6/09

been seeing good numbers of local birds back. mallards paired up in the farm ponds. geese nesting in typical spots. already pumped for the fall!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts