2016 Spring Hearings- Waterfowl Question

2/10/16 @ 11:27 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09
I believe it is question number 33 on the Spring Hearings that is asking that all permanent Waterfowl Blinds to not be allowed anymore. Good question to take a look at.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 72 Posts
3/7/16 @ 6:45 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
I would gladly accept permanent blinds if we could instead ban the use of mud motors, the scourge of duck hunters like myself who enjoy a little peace and quiet in the pre-dawn marsh!

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 3:37 PM
duckwidow
duckwidow
USER since 11/12/05
two points to add - permanent blinds are safer for us who use smaller boats and next is you can't row out of a boat blind. I realize some are spoiled with mud motors but some people still like to row and get exercise and not tear down all the vegetation with a mud motor. My two cents. Respect that we differ on opinions.

Post Your Comment
2/27/16 @ 7:42 PM
flyman444
flyman444
USER since 4/7/02
This topic has drawn me out of my extremely extended self imposed lakelink posting ban.

Duxup - stupid is not a nice word.

Perm blinds are worse than skyblasters who think they just won the world duck calling comp. I have had some great spots ruined by the fact that a blind which sticks out something awful was built there in the first place. Then add on the spot "ownership" aspect.

Thankfully I mostly hunt areas now that blinds are few and used even less, but I still manage several heated confrontations a year. Banning perm blinds on public land will solve one of the many issues plaguing duck hunters in WI.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 12:47 PM
duxup
duxup
MEMBER since 8/5/05
I agree with the folks who want them banned for all the same reasons. While it will not fix the terminally stupid folks out there, it will go a long way to making a better hunt for all.

Duxup

Post Your Comment
2/23/16 @ 10:27 AM
Hailcall
Hailcall
USER since 9/1/09
I have been in the marsh for 40 years. To address duck widow, this is nothing new. The fights went on 40 years before me as my dad told me the stories. Guys went as far as building blinds with removable floors so others could not use them.

Igor, if you use a portable ground blind for deer hunting you must remove every day. If you put sticks in a pile, oh well.

There are many people who will not duck hunt because of the permanent blinds. I myself have went to spots with no blind because I am not up for fighting any longer.

A ice house is a private item legally left on public land. You may not use it. A duck blind is a private item legally left on public land. You may not use, however, the blind cannot restrict you from using the land in that area, the same as a ice house. Meaning, a duck blind can have a lock on it and if you break it or burn it, you will be liable for it. This is not the wild west guys. You can drive next to it and use the side of it as part of your cover if you like, cause they owner does not own the land it is attached to. You can drill holes next to a shanty if you like, they cannot say a word.

Time is passing, and things need to be adjusted. I have pushed for this rule for years and am glad to see that it is finally being brought up.

I will vote to remove the use of permanent blinds on public lands for waterfowl hunting. What ever you take in you must take out every day at the end of hunting hours. Furthermore, if you decide to put a stake in the ground with your name on it as your spot, it should be turned over the local DNR officer for littering citation.

Post Your Comment
2/20/16 @ 5:37 AM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
I will vote to ban them. I've personally had more negative confrontations with people in permanent blinds then positive ones. If people would make them and have the understanding that it isn't their spot forever then I see no problem but once again most people don't do that and show up 20minutes before shooting and holler and scream like a little child until you leave. I've had some guys start wrapping up my decoys. Or pull in and say hey thanks for setting up such a nice spread. Or the best of all the 2 2x4s stuck in the mud with a piece of burlap strung across for opening day showing up picking the burlap up and saying it was my fault for not realizing that was a permanant blind and this has happened on numerous occasions. I have also hunted with guys out of "their" blind and they have been extremely nice about it. One of the things that I love about duck hunting is all the public opurtunitys and that if you wake up earlier then everyone else you can get the best spot.

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 9:38 AM
breal
breal
USER since 10/12/10
Snipe n, great thought. Imo, nothing will stop the confrontations out in the field. Someone will find something to fight about, it is what it is? I never had a permanent blind and never hunted out of one. I prefer to be mobile? But I just hate the fact of losing something/ options?

Post Your Comment
2/19/16 @ 6:51 AM
snipe n
snipe n
USER since 9/10/07
All blinds on public water I think should be made out of natural material. Like willows, grasses and other vegetation. This would deny ownership to any one person or group. If there wasn't an ownership value of the supplies used to make the blind. There shouldn't be issues when it comes to who should be able to hunt the spot at 0 dark thirty. First one there gets the spot.

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 2:32 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
They didnt. My dad and his buddies used to build perms out in the weed beds of a large lake for diver hunting. (Back 40 years ago) They have endless stories of people burning each other blinds, destroying them etc. One guy actually pulled out an entire small reed bed that once gone, made "his" spot better.

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 2:15 PM
duckwidow
duckwidow
USER since 11/12/05
So how did people get along with all the permanent blinds years ago? Answer: they had respect for each other. Nowadays you have people that will go to a different lake every day and expect to just go anywhere. That is their right but that is also the problem. Some people are not set up for that style of hunting. Permanent blinds provide stability. Some boats are too small to carry hunters, decoys, and on top of all the other gear a blind. Most permanent blinds are in cover where other hunters can pull 10 feet away from the blind. I can understand people getting upset about a hunter wanting "his" spot 15 minutes before the season. My experience is though people trying to get to their blinds 2 hours before season and no one else is on the lake but people won't move. Just a little courtesy goes a long way. I think we should just ban jacka$$es from the marsh. Just my 2 cents.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 72 Posts