2016 Spring Hearings- Waterfowl Question

2/10/16 @ 11:27 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Gander Dander
Gander Dander
USER since 4/15/09
I believe it is question number 33 on the Spring Hearings that is asking that all permanent Waterfowl Blinds to not be allowed anymore. Good question to take a look at.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 31 to 40 of 72 Posts
3/13/16 @ 1:20 PM
Brad
Brad
USER since 6/19/01
"Why do you think the dakotas don't allow afternoon hunting. The ducks need time and space to rest."

I couldn't find any mention of that in either of the Dakota's hunting hours currently published. Are you sure that is an accurate statement?

IMHO, even considering closing the season for the PM hunt is ridiculous. Many areas are already way over-crowded and this would only add to that problem.

If YOU want to decrease pressure on the ducks, hunt less.

But for me, I'm tired of silly ideas based in "I really think" getting any serious consideration as changes to our hunting regulations.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 9:34 PM
flyman444
flyman444
USER since 4/7/02
There are already areas with reduced hunting hours in the state. Such as Mead. It would be interesting to see what influence it has had???

We could also draw balls for places like horicon, Mead ect....

I honestly feel pm hunting pressure in most areas of the state has little to no impact, but in some areas I think you maybe onto something. I would support a three year trial of no pm hunting or floating no hunt days through out the season. No sure if the feds would allow those type of floating days as I think we are only allowed two splits when you have 3 hunting zones????

Wisconsin has always been and will be a fly by state for migrators. Unless I am missing something I think the lakes still froze over back fifty years ago. I get what your saying about "resting" birds but the best habitat always holds these birds and that habitat is tied up in refuges already. Look at the state and fed sides of Horicon. Many birds do spend a few days but research shows that many ducks peal off hundreds of miles in a stretch. Some pull almost their whole migration in one big push. GB, Horicon,Winnebago system and the mississippi complex may benefit from some of these rules,but I don't see the hunting pressure north of say hwy 64 to justify closing pm hunting. I could see a benefit South of hwy 10 maybe.

Habitat, habitat, and more habitat is key to growing more local birds. This will lead to greater overall success. Vast majority of the ducks killed in WI are raised here.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 9:10 PM
flyman444
flyman444
USER since 4/7/02
DW ... You are just like the rest ... I don't care if it is two hours before shooting. That blind does not make it your spot. You should not even stop and ask.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 6:44 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
DW, Fowler2, amen brothers.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 6:30 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER since 7/17/09
DW, you hit the sweet spot. This state needs to shutdown the afternoons from hunting. At least from the second opener to the finish line. Protecting the roost for the most part would definitly turn this state back into a rest spot rather than a fly-by.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 1:29 PM
duckwidow
duckwidow
USER since 11/12/05
semper fi - that arguement could go both ways about a man card. My blind takes 3 days to make. Most guys complain about the eye sores after the season. If you leave your permanent out then you should leave your man card. I am not the one trying to change anything.

No one is saying anything about the horse power of mud motor. But the point I stand behind is it has allowed hunters access to spots where ducks could rest for a few days on their migration. Nowadays, for the the most part the migration involves very little stop time. Why do you think the dakotas don't allow afternoon hunting. The ducks need time and space to rest.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 11:57 AM
USMCwis
USMCwis
USER since 7/24/08
No argument there. Skiff to plenty of spots. But that's not what your real argument is about.

Cool

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 7:36 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
If you can't paddle/pole a skiff to your spot like my grandfather did until age 90 better surrender that "man card" as well! Wink

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 12:00 AM
USMCwis
USMCwis
USER since 7/24/08
Ban Mud motors..? Lol. Next someone will want HP restrictions too.

Get rid of the Public land permanent blinds if the votes are there. If you can't build a workable blind in a hour or so on the day you hunt...then you need to turn your man card in.

Post Your Comment
3/9/16 @ 3:28 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
Duckwidow, thanks

Post Your Comment
Displaying 31 to 40 of 72 Posts