2015 Season thoughts

11/29/15 @ 9:24 AM
ORIGINAL POST
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
I hunt West Central Wisconsin. I would rate the past season as fair. Averaged three birds per trip "6 trips" through mid October. Due to other adventures, I was not able to get out again until November 17, 18, and 19. The last three hunts never fired the gun and saw some birds, all high and on the migration. The lack of late season birds compared to other years is concerning to me. Geese still hanging in area, but mallards never and still have not showed up. Happy Holidays!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts
12/2/15 @ 10:59 AM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
The biggest change I have observed the past two years is a big decline in divers in the area I hunt. Still a few flocks going thru, but I have not observed any rafts on the lake I primarily hunt the last two years. Also late season mallards, just not showing up in this area. Even an trout stream in MN I hit when I lived there, would have hundreds using it by November first, only has 50 or so using it the past three years.

Post Your Comment
12/1/15 @ 10:18 PM
steinerrecliner
steinerrecliner
USER since 4/8/02
northern mallards...coming to a retention pond near you......

Post Your Comment
12/1/15 @ 8:36 PM
Snowdigger
Snowdigger
USER since 11/7/11
If guys are worried about duck populations and habitat loss then the bill being floated in the Capital should be a concern to all.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/gop-lawmakers-propose-bill-shrinking-state-natural-resource-areas/article_4d4d7455-b2a9-5a12-a0c7-521f189b93a6.html

Post Your Comment
11/30/15 @ 8:35 PM
PIKE-FAN
PIKE-FAN
USER since 8/4/09
Had one of my best seasons ever but it was due to a lot of scouting. Covered up in woodies all September and October. Killed very few teal. Knew of a few spots holding green wings and only really targeted them twice. Should have had an easy limit the one morning but the birds were coming in at a goofy angle and my shooting was poor. Decided to leave the woodies alone after Halloween and tried to find some mallards. Should have had some more mallards but there was some poor shooting involved and a few hunts that didn't pan out due to poor weather conditions. One more weekend to get after them.

Post Your Comment
11/30/15 @ 7:48 PM
steinerrecliner
steinerrecliner
USER since 4/8/02
Having a decent season. Weird year for sure with warmer temps, killed ducks in spots way later than I ever have. Had decent amounts of divers too. Saw less mallards in the marsh I hunt but I believe that to be more habitat related this year. Saw more mallards on the bigger lake I hunt which was cool. Hunted a lot of new areas saw a lot of ducks. 104 and counting....

Post Your Comment
11/30/15 @ 7:16 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
The Prairie Pothole may pond counts were down 12% this spring, meaning birds may have migrated further north this spring to nest....meaning less birds in the Dakotas to migrate here (during duck season) and then add a warm fall, stalling/prolonging migrations.

Post Your Comment
11/30/15 @ 5:45 PM
SLM
SLM
USER since 1/10/07
Name these"guides" you are claiming that are telling you the diver numbers are down. Where is your proof? Besides are you going to take several biologist's word or a guide?

Post Your Comment
11/30/15 @ 5:38 PM
DuckSlayin88
DuckSlayin88
USER since 9/13/11
"Again, no sense beating the horse over it." - So then why do you continue to complain about it on this thread and other threads on here? It is no different than other guys on deer hunting threads, if you dont like it then dont hunt. Are there still guys on here who enjoy duck hunting regardless of how many they kill or see?

Post Your Comment
11/30/15 @ 4:19 PM
AlreadyGone
AlreadyGone
USER since 9/7/11
I have friends and know guides from N. Dakota to Stuttgart...I hunt 3 States, not just a few spots locally. Geese are doing just fine, they can adapt to less habitat better than ducks..but experts and good hunters and knowledgable guides know that the duck numbers have been down for years, Divers especially. It's not about being negative, it's being honest and factual. Some know what they see....and some won't. Again, no sense beating the horse over it.

Post Your Comment
11/30/15 @ 3:25 PM
DuckSlayin88
DuckSlayin88
USER since 9/13/11
You sure are pretty negative for someone who is getting their limits almost every time. If you think the birds "need a rest" then why are shooting limits when you are out there? People are so negative on these threads it just blows my mind.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts