Walleyes For Tomorrow Hatchery Update!

4/19/16 @ 6:51 PM
ORIGINAL POST
netloss
netloss
USER since 8/4/03
Here's an update from our chairman: TO ALL, The walleye have finely decided Spring has arrived. Ken Van Den Plas from Shawano called first. Said he shined 50 or so males on Roseneau Point where the chapter laid down 68 cu. yds. of 2-4 inch rock along the shoreline this winter. Two days later had 1.4 million eggs, a day later another 2 million, today, a full hatchery @ 5.4 million. Al Neibur and his DNR crew caught the fish and the WFT guys processed them Keven Jacobson reported the Red Cedar Lake full at mid week and the Silver Lake hatchery will be full by Tuesday. The fish on Red Cedar came via the DNR lake study and the WFT crew processed the fish. Kim Borski reported the Big Eau Pleine Reservoir hatchery full with 3.4 million eggs yesterday. Brian Simon on Lake Geneva says they will be full by Tuesday, around 6 million eggs. The size structure of the population has shifted significantly since WFT started stocking. No longer dominated by extra large females, some as small as 16" are mature. Many in the 18 - 24" range. Tom Koepp on Pewuakee Lake had 1.2 million but many green females. Tied the nets open for 3 days and had some HUGE females come in. Green Lake still on hold. Dave Bartz the DNR Biologist has not seen any walleye in his lake study nest so far. Normally set our nets April 15 - 24 so more to come. No report from Big Cedar in West Bend. Chuck Kramer in Manitowish Waters shined Mercer Lake tonight and did not see a single walleye in the shallows. Hundreds of 4" bass in the shallows. Eating walleye eggs??? I will be going up as soon as they see some fish in the shallows to help with their initial effort. Have a good spring. Mike
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
5/24/16 @ 9:48 PM
netloss
netloss
USER since 8/4/03

Another Lake Geneva Update with a huge hatch!

Hello Everyone,

Wanted to update everyone on the hatchery, its been a while-I’m sure your wondering....

After 34 days of hatchery operation, today was the last fry stocking event of the 2016 hatchery season. We incubated 6,220,000 walleye eggs at an average incubation temperature of 47.8 degrees. The incubation duration was 26-28 days. The hatch started at around 384 DTU’s. Each jar took about 5 days to completely hatch once they started. It was complete around 448 DTU’s.  This is about 80 accumulated DTU’s more than when the eggs were incubated at 58 degree average temperature at our previous location.  We stocked 4,130,000 fry over a period of 8 days of stocking, for a 66% hatch rate. We held the fry for 3 days post hatch before release, except when we had the last cold front this past Friday and Saturday, we had to hold them 4 days. When a check of the fry in the microscope showed their mouths open and plenty of yolk sac left, and they were up and swimming horizontally in the tanks, we let them go over the deep water where we had previously checked for adequate zooplankton. 

Overall, the operation of the hatchery on the lake proper, instead of the backwater of the lake, went smooth over the long period.  The hatch was slow and more controllable.  Overnight hatches were more of a steady trickle instead of the explosive hatch events we had experienced in the warm water of the Abbey Harbor. Egg shells did not give us trouble, it was the algae blooms and the strong and persistent northeast blowing across Geneva Bay right into our hatchery that caused us problems with plugged filters every 4 hours. This bloom would last about 1 day and then the water would then be crystal clear for several days or a week. One evening on a hatchery check, I found 3-4 inches of algae floating on top of the eggs in every jar. After siphoning and flushing the eggs/jars, all was back to normal.

Today Jim Pierce, Bill Bearder and myself tore down the hatchery and we will be pulling out of there tomorrow morning. I believe this season was very successful, with the best hatching rate we have ever had, very healthy and well conditioned fry, and the lake food supply/fry introduction was “in sync” with each other using incubation water directly from the lake shore, where they naturally would have hatched and the date they would hatch. 

Congratulations to everyone who helped this season at the hatchery on the success, and to all that have been members of our chapter in stocking Geneva Lake with over 18 million walleye fry over the last 5 years. Now we need to finish up on our fundraising project, call it a season, and move on to other things.

I will be in touch with updates as I get new news and information.

Brian H. Simon
Walworth County Chapter Chairman
Walleyes For Tomorrow

Post Your Comment
5/18/16 @ 6:26 AM
netloss
netloss
USER since 8/4/03

Lake Geneva Hatchery Update:

We stripped the eggs from 50 females.

17 were 26” or slightly larger size class
7 were 25” class
9 were 24” class
8 were 23” class
6 were 22” class
1 was 21” class
1 was 19” class
1 was 18” class

We used a total of 82 males

7 males 14” class
17 males 15” class
   8 males 16” class
25 males 17” class
22 males 18”class
   3 males 19-20” class

The current walleye harvest regulations on Geneva Lake allow a 5 fish harvest of walleye with a minimum length limit of 15”.  As you can see from our data, there are very few males under 15” that we were able to use for fertilization.  There may be a good biological argument to increase the minimum size to 18” before harvest.  The increased size limit may make it easier for WFT to obtain the males we need for fertilization, and it may give the fish a chance to spawn once before being subject to harvest. The male walleye population is just getting to be more in balance on Geneva with more fish present. Soon the word will be out on the increased walleye population in the lake and the harvest is bound to increase.  Geneva Lake is primarily a put-and-take walleye fishery. We can be sure of the taking part... but we can not be so sure who or how much “putting” there will be for the future.  It would be nice to have a sustainable walleye population that people can enjoy a harvest from for some time.

Brian H. Simon
Walworth Co. Chapter Chairman
Walleyes For Tomorrow

Post Your Comment
5/18/16 @ 6:24 AM
netloss
netloss
USER since 8/4/03

Green Lake Hatchery Update!

Greetings to All,

Green Lake has finished with egg harvesting on 4-30-16. With 7 WFT nets and 3 DNR nets in 8 NN Green Lake volunteers captured 323 total walleyes. 182 females of which 132 were workable fish to 141 males, each female averaged 77’091 eggs. We had 9 sub 15” and 20 recaptures, and we had 24 walleyes that exceeded the 26” mark and were released un-striped. The largest was 29” and the smallest was 13.5. Attached is a daily netting/hatchery log and hatching time-line calendar, we have a full hatchery at 79.5 quarts or 10’176’000 fertilized eggs!

The week of May 15th should be wild!

Post Your Comment
5/18/16 @ 6:23 AM
netloss
netloss
USER since 8/4/03

Shawano Lake Hatchery update: Thought I would write you an update this time. Wednesday we started to see the first fry start to hatch late in the day. On Thursday the pace started picking up to the point that we released 480,000 fry today from the Wed. and Thursday hatch. Friday started more of a heavy hatch around mid afternoon in 5 jars. To the point that we started up a third holding tank for the Friday hatch. Today we are filling three holding tanks again with heavy hatch in nine jars. 2 of the jars are all but empty. We have 6 jars that we are first seeing a few scout swimmers in. Water temps are getting down to around 44 the last two nights so the hatch really slows down after midnight. I'm hoping for that tonight also as tonight I'm on filter watch. Since 6 PM. today it is every half hour that we need to clean filters in the three tanks we are filling now. Tomorrow we will be marking and releasing over one million fry. Total estimate hatch for this year will be well over 5 million again.

Post Your Comment
4/21/16 @ 6:57 AM
JPons
JPons
USER since 4/7/14
Thanks for the update Netloss! I help out at the Red Cedar hatchery when I can and it's always a fine site to see when every canister full of eggs!

Post Your Comment