walleye trolling experts advice needed

5/25/15 @ 10:24 AM
ORIGINAL POST
joeblue83
joeblue83
USER since 5/15/13
I usually troll lake wisconsin with the murky water and stump fields. I use 12 inch steel leaders that have 20lb test attached to crankbaits along with a spool of suffix 832 20lb test. It has been pointed out to me that i should not be using steel leaders but instead tie directly to lure. I mainly use them so i can easily switch baits and not hurt my line when i rub some stumps or the bottom What do most people do?. Do you just retie another lure on everytime you switch or do you run some kind of swivel. Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
6/2/15 @ 5:10 PM
retired smokey
retired smokey
MEMBER since 7/26/09
What's the go to artificial bait that you use on Winnebago and Green Bay for Walleyes. Uncle Josh, Gulp, etc.

Post Your Comment
6/2/15 @ 11:21 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
Ditto on SJB's response for L Wis.

Post Your Comment
6/2/15 @ 9:38 AM
Blacktoothsin
Blacktoothsin
USER since 7/2/12
Joeblue.

I 3 way rig for walleyes all the time. I just don't use any baits that won't suspend or float.

It's a big mistake to tie on leaders of any kind for walleyes, besides a Flourocarbon. I use vanish 10lb. Not one walleye broke off in winnebago, and only a couple in depere this year.

I insist you tie every rig exactly the same, with exact leader length on the flourocarbon.

steel leaders will pitch your crankbait and cause what seem like tuning issues.

I always use improved clinch knots. 30lb Cajun high abrasion with an in line swivel, and 40" of 10 lb vanish, to a 20lb snap swivel.

Check and tighten your knots regularly.

Post Your Comment
6/1/15 @ 4:26 PM
Walter Krause
Windmill99
USER since 5/22/15
I use an .018 wire leader 6 to 8 inches long in waters where Muskie and pike are prssent to prevent bite offs. If none of the toothy fish are present, I like 15 lb braid with a 10 to 15 lb fluorocarbon leader about 10 foot long. I tie the leader directly to the braid using the uni to uni knot. I like the uni clip instead of a snap tied to the leader. The uni knot will go through the eyes very smoothly. If you are using a lure that twist, a swivel is tied joining the braid to the leader and a shorter leader is used. Florocarbon leader material is very abrasion resistant. The leader material is made of a different formula than the Florocarbon line made for casting and spinning reels.

Walter's Fishing Guide Service
(618) 972-5584
Post Your Comment
5/31/15 @ 10:22 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Trolling for Walleyes I use 10 lb mono or an equivalent diameter of line because that is what everything in Precision Trolling is based on. I do not use swivels instead I use cross loc snaps

Post Your Comment
5/29/15 @ 5:37 PM
Capt. Patrick Conger
Capt. Patrick Conger
USER since 3/21/13
Ill agree a simple cross snap, 10 trilene xt in clear or green and a small split shot 2' up line. I like the split shot over swivel since its a bit bigger, but im sure a swivel works fine too. If any of you have any other questions, Feel free to pm me. Thanks

Capt Patrick

(262) 894-4260
Post Your Comment
5/29/15 @ 1:29 PM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02
Assuming you are targeting walleyes....

10# Berkley with an inline swivel 3 to 4 feet ahead of the snap. The swivel catches debris that may find its way down the line. No need for expensive line and leaders.

Post Your Comment
5/28/15 @ 11:01 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
Lived on Lake Wisconsin for 13 years and trolled the heck out of the stumps. 10# xt with snap swivel is what I ran. Don't need a leader or something else. Plan on losing baits on this body of water - simply part of the factor of fishing this water.

Post Your Comment
5/28/15 @ 8:34 AM
muskyslayer
muskyslayer
USER since 5/9/02
I agree with the guys using the swivel or tie direct. If you are having trouble with line fray I like to use 14lb sunline fluorocarbon leads. I run 10-20ft leads and cut off a few feet each time I hit the water. when you link your 832 with the fluoro make sure to use a swivel small enough to crank up in your rod guides. If you find yourself on clear water lakes you will be happy you are running fluoro because it is invisible under water.

Post Your Comment
5/26/15 @ 5:32 AM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
Just tie a cross lock snap swivel straight to the 832 braid. Just use a size that fits the bait not a huge one because it may make the crank run guffy. No need to get fancy in that dirty water and you can then easily change baits I usually use 10lb berkely Xt with a cross lock snap trolling Winnebago or Green Bay but I'm not fishing around the stumps like on lake Wisconsin.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts