SEARCH
MORE
Walleye Fishing

Trolling for eyes? Leaders?

12/2/18 @ 7:36 PM
INITIAL POST
tool
User since 6/3/04

Hey guys...  I’m new to trolling for Walleyes, but just wondering if you guys typically use leaders trolling cranks for them?  I was just thinking I would probably get sawed off from pike or muskie if I don’t use leaders.  

So if you do, what exacty, Fluro?  What lb?

Thoughts?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
1/4/19 @ 10:11 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

" Is the water clear or murky?" seems to be the big question. I fish the murky waters of Green Bay like b.Trout and have a snap tied directly to some skinny 12# fireline for the diving plugs I fish with. I have a second set up that I tie on 10# flouro leader directly to the poly line using the Albright knot so I can jig vertical baits, where the fish have more time to scrutinize things. So trolling for eyes no.... jigging for eyes, yes. Note: All the spinner rigs for harnesses, I tie with flourocarbon.

12/18/18 @ 8:12 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I also use 12# biggame,but if i am loosing cranks I will use 10# tyable wire.

12/17/18 @ 11:27 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

I run Stren Gold 12 lb, use spider wire 10 lb. as leader line, cuts my break offs in half. Do all my trolling on  Koshkonong  the 5 ft. no structure dishpan. 

12/4/18 @ 3:48 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The Big Game #12 lb is the same diameter as #10 XT.  I go with that because that's what the Precision Trolling App leads/depths are based on.  Either is fine.

Bite-offs are unfortunate but do happen.  Fluoro may help a bit if there are enough toothy critters around to be of concern but I don't think I'd run anything over #10-12lb.  Grab a bunch of Flicker Shads and Husky Jerks (when on sale).  Those won't break the bank like some baits on the market (Live Target) if they get bit off.

12/4/18 @ 1:55 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Big Game 12# mono to the snap will work fine. You'll get bit off occasionally when a pike/muskie grabs it.

12/4/18 @ 9:57 AM
tool
User since 6/3/04

Ok thanks, great info.  Yes, I will be mostly trolling rivers that are not very clear.  I just thought maybe guys use a leader, in fear of being bit off by a muskie or pike.  But you are saying in clear water, the walleye can sometime see the mono?

I was going to run the Big Game 12 lb mono, but wasn’t sure if I should use an additional leader to that, or just run the mono to a snap, and snap to the Crankbait.

12/4/18 @ 9:47 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Probably depends on where you are trolling.  Inland lakes?  Green Bay?  Is the water murky or gin clear?

I do most of my trolling for walleye on the lower bay of Green Bay and Winnebago.  When I first started, I used 10 lb mono on my reels with a 3 or 4 foot fluoro leader.  I have since gone away from that after fishing with others who just go with mono on the lower bay.  The water is not very clear and I don't think that the line spooks them.  When you get up north of Bay Shore/Oconto, the water clears up significantly and fluoro may be helpful.  Lakes that I have trolled in Northern WI are either stained or have average water clarity so I just go with mono straight to the lure.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE