Structure for Ice Fishing Winnebago

1/20/16 @ 9:55 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
Ok, I have never ice fished Winnebago and limited experience on open water in that system. I am not looking for anyone's spot, but would like a start. I have always done good up North on natural lakes, but each body of water is somewhat different. I will most likely be fishing the South end or the West side below Oshkosh. Do you look for humps, reefs, or depressions (deep water). Are there weed breaks you look for? Any pointers you can give me will be appreciated, and then I will learn it from there. Ches.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
2/19/16 @ 4:57 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
Go somewhere else haha. Bago is the hardest lake I've ever ice fished for walleyes. Been fishing it regularly for 5 years now and have had 3 days were I got a limit. You need to be extremely mobile and lucky. I've got a limit one afternoon went out the next day and got 1. Last time out was marking fish all day would barely move off the bottom switched to a tungsten panfish jig and plastic and smoked 2 walleyes right away. The best thing to do is stay mobile, keep your bait up in the water colum, and stay mobile(again). Cause if you get on a hungry school of them it can be non stop with multiple fish screaming up meeting your bait on the way down which keeps me out there banging my head against the mud. Jigging rap size 3 rippin rap size 4 pimple size 3 1/16thoz buckshot 1/16th oz cast master fire tiger,gold, or clown have been my most consistent.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 6:52 AM
Hika Jupa
Hika Jupa
USER since 5/6/09
Look for structure on top the ice. Big groups of fisherman usually mean fish. Stay outside the crowd and try multiple sides if needed. Usually works for me. No need to go right in and drill on top of anyone.

Post Your Comment
1/26/16 @ 2:24 PM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
Wow, that high? I normally only fish 2-3' off the bottom. Will watch the flasher. Thanks guys, good hints, now I need to use them.

Ches.

Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 8:13 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
Mud, mud and more mud. The fish are schooled up looking for or chasing schools of shad. Your best off fishing with one rod with a spoon or jigging rap and keep moving, 20 minutes in one spot with no fish is long enough. Typical camping out in one spot all day with tip-ups is not as productive as jigging one rod and keep moving. Live bait on bago is rarely more productive as no live bait. It's just a matter of confidence. Also fish higher in the water column than you normally would. 3-8' off bottom is best. A lot of active fish will swim over top of your lure if you fish close to the bottom.

Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 9:15 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
Thanks Cold Front, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Anyone else.

Post Your Comment
1/22/16 @ 8:40 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Others may have different experiences than mine, but I have had very little luck fishing reefs in the winter. Almost all of my fish have come from the mud in the winter. You can call that structure if you want. Mrt.

Post Your Comment