Speed for setting up crawler harnesses

3/10/16 @ 2:59 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Up & Coming
Up & Coming
USER since 3/19/06
I mostly troll crankbaits but just started trolling crawler harnesses the past two years. My question is when setting out multple boards, say 3 on each side, do you speed up when you are setting up? It seems that if you are running in lines or using the 50/50 method a 1 ounce sinker will be dragging bottom at 1 mph before all the line is out and board is desired distance from boat. My fear is that by the time the end boards are out they are being devoured by gobies. Thanks for the feedback.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
4/13/16 @ 9:05 AM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
X2 on what hack said. Also have had luck on gulp spinner crawlers gobies and perch still bite but they don't usually pull them off.

Post Your Comment
3/21/16 @ 2:04 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
I usually do speed up a bit. So if we are planning to run around 1 mph, I will set up around 1.5 or 2.0 mph. Faster to set up and less chance of hitting bottom, getting weeds or round gobi's (Green Bay). But like others have said, use a 1 oz inline weight.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 3:33 PM
Hack
Hack
USER since 11/13/01
I clip the board on, put the rod in the holder, turn clicker OFF and lastly, back the drag off just enough for line to pull off the reel against the drag while still propelling the board forward. Works great. Grab another rod and repeat. Hint...make darn sure to tighten the drag when you get the board the desired distance from the boat. I think you can understand why.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 9:39 AM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09
I don't speed up to set boards. I would strongly recommend using 1 oz keel weights instead of the 50/50. you usually need less kind out and easier to set

Post Your Comment
3/10/16 @ 9:29 PM
weedweesle69
weedweesle69
USER since 7/29/12
I usually just send line out a little at a time until desired Depth is reached. It takes awhile to set up but nothing about harnesses is fast. I personally try as much possible to stay away from harnesses cause I hate crawlers and I feel its boring as $#!+ But sometimes its the only thing they are bitting on

Post Your Comment