Motorguide x5i or Minnekota terrova for trolling

1/10/16 @ 4:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
schmelme
schmelme
USER since 12/20/07
Rigging new boat this spring and wondering if anyone can give advice on the motor guide vs terrova. Wondering how they compare On battery draw/ and running a course. And durability?? Going with lowrance electronics so can link to motor guide if I want.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
1/22/16 @ 9:53 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
USER since 8/7/15
I've had an Xi5 hooked up to a Lowrance HDS 12 Touch for a year now. It does everything it's supposed to do. With 2 series 27 batteries I've gone days where I can move around for 8 hours and not run out of juice. But I've also had days with the cruise control on and a head wind exhausting the batteries in 4 hours. But that's on a 19 foot boat pulling downriggers and a fair amount of tackle. Since Lowrance released the outboard autopilot I now do most of my trolling with the kicker. The Xi5 is used mainly to keep me anchored and able to move around without pulling up an actual anchor. It's nice to be able to touch on a previous way point and have it drive to it and automatically anchor there.

Post Your Comment
1/20/16 @ 10:04 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
I think I would go along with Tim on this. I am a Bird guy so the Terrova w/I-link is the way to troll structure for Eye's or casting shores for Bass. But if I had Lowrance, the X5i might be the way to go, no experience with the unit. I am on my second boat with the I-Link system, and love it.

Ches.

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 11:19 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I happen to run a Terrova, but that is because I also run Humminbird electronics. However if you are running Lowrance and are interested in hooking them to the trolling motor, then definitely go with the Motorguide.

Post Your Comment
1/10/16 @ 4:34 PM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
I put a motorguide xi5 on my boat last year. Don't really use it for trolling just for position fishing. Nothing but pleased with the motor. Have fished with a couple guys that have the terrova. Can't go wrong with either imo. The motorguide is defiantly noticeably quieter and turns faster. Hooked up easily to the lowrance but you will need to get the correct jumper cable which is sold separately. Not sure how the terrova hooks up. I have the 24 volt system and it seems to have long lasting power.

Muddy Creek Fishing Guides
(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment