Mississippi Walleye

12/28/15 @ 9:12 AM
ORIGINAL POST
twistertom
twistertom
USER since 3/16/15
Last spring I spent a good portion of my fishing time on the Mississippi River looking for walleye. It was the first time I had fished the system so didn't really know what I was doing. I noticed the majority of people catching fish were 'back-trolling' with the current to keep their jigs vertical with the boat. I tried with my trolling motor on the bow but it was impossible to control the boat doing so. What is the trick to controlling a boat when back-trolling? I have a 17' boat. Is it worth looking into a kicker? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
1/23/17 @ 3:44 PM
fishintechnician
fishintechnician
USER since 8/23/11

I fish the big Miss quite a bit . There are so many techniques that work at different times of the year . Verticle jigging and pulling 3 way rigs are 2 of my go to presentations . But I also handline , flat line trolling cranks , pitching jigs , casting cranks and pulling leadcore with cranks . I've also used boards trolling . Each presentation has it's pros and cons and work at certain times of the year . Winter and early spring is more of a verticle jig bite . Late spring and all through summer the fish tend to favor the wingdams . I like to pull up off the top(in front of) and cast cranks on them for the active fish . Then either pitch jigs or work 3 ways with live bait along the front face . Then I might put a heavier weight on the 3 way and pull cranks off the tip and along the face . Summer time also scatters fish on big flats where flat lining cranks with boards or pulling leadcore may work . Also casting cranks on the front tips of islands or along riprap or rock daymarkers in the river .  Come fall the fish seem to like cranks on 3 ways on the wingdams or handlining the tips off the wingdams with cranks .  Then as the water cools off you go back to verticle jigging and pulling 3 ways . Don't try to master all of those techniques . Pick 2 or 3 and learn them . Once you have those techiques working try some of the others . PM me if you have any questions . Be glad to share what I know . I mainly fish for walleye and sauger .

Post Your Comment
1/22/17 @ 9:12 AM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

I live on the area, but I'm way more of a stream trout and smallmouth guy.  That said, I've never seen or heard of anyone using planer boards or lead core on the river.  I'd say call the local Gander and other bait shops just to be sure.

Post Your Comment
1/21/17 @ 10:31 AM
missippimugs
missippimugs
MEMBER since 9/14/16

Just a question...does anybody troll this system?  I am selling my Great Lakes tackle and was thinking about keeping a few planner boards and rod set ups.  Maybe a couple colors of lead on the reels??  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I am moving in the spring to the French island just below Lake Onalaska.  I never fished this body of water before and was looking for ideas. 

Post Your Comment
1/20/16 @ 3:38 PM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
Big Shane is right, South wind is bad but I also hate an East wind if I am fishing the West side. Boat goes down river at an angle. I have seen and did troll upriver at times, but you have to go very slow. Slip down then troll up breaks it up for me, but you need two different set-ups. One heavy to go up and a lighter one to go down. All depends on current and wind.

Ches.

Post Your Comment
12/28/15 @ 6:02 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
Are you sure they were back trolling? Most fisherman slip with the current in the spring using their trolling motor below the dams. Put your bow in the direction of the current and set the motor to the proper power to obtain a vertical presentation. Sometimes if there's a south wind and the wind overpowers the current you'll have to point the bow downstream and set the power to obtain a vertical presentation and slowly work downstream. It basically all depends on current speed, wind speed, and wind direction.

The other poster mentioned the wingdams but that's not a spring presentation really. Current is usually up in the spring and the walleyes are usually in pre/post spawn areas.

Post Your Comment
12/28/15 @ 5:00 PM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09
Try to learn how to fish the wing dams. All species of fish spend time on them and hold a lot of fish.

Post Your Comment