SEARCH
MORE
Walleye Fishing

Fishing Walleyes in the weeds

7/7/16 @ 4:18 PM
INITIAL POST
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14

I keep reading about guys fishing Walleyes in the weeds, but they never talk about presentation.  How do you guys fish them?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
9/19/18 @ 5:57 PM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

During hot summer months, look for coontail weeds and use slider rigs with a leech.  I use my ultralite rod with 4 lb test.  Walleyes when they hit in weeds come to the top and do not run through the weeds.

9/19/18 @ 11:53 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Something I have done is pulled spinners with no weight on them over the weed beds using the Church Mini Boards.  Let out 30' of line or so and attached the board, send it out to the side of the boat and over the weed bed.

8/27/18 @ 9:57 AM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16

Fishing Swimbaits for Walleye and Pike at night:

Swimbaits work very well for pike and walleye at night. A great natural color for night time fishing is the Berkely Flatback shad in Pearl Blue color. It is also a fantastic color during the day. At night, it shows as somewhat of a solid light silver, and its easily seen by all fish. Now if your not getting knocked by natural colors- try this:

Take a white or opaque/ solid silver colored swim bait in any of your favorite brands. My favorite for this trick is the Berkely flatback shad in Peach Pearl- which I literally have a lifetime supply of just for this reason. Now take some of the scented plastic lure dye and dye the body of the swimbait neon yellow. Yes..neon yellow. You can now take a swimbait and make it a highly visible nightime fishing tool that fish slam. It works- I have caught many pike and walleye using this trick and honestly when I fish this dyed neon yellow swimbait at night I never get skunked. It is highly visible so even pike can spot from yards away and slam it. I have seen walleye swim after this dyed swimbait from 25 plus yards away using a spotlight in shallow cold water during the fall, And the garlic smells good. Try it...good fishing everyone....

5/31/18 @ 12:43 PM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16

Nemab man- unfortunately they are discontinued but you can still find them online I beleive. They are a pretty firm plastic so they last a good amount of fish. You can use other 5 inch swim shad bodies also. The MC brand 5 inch swimbaits are the closest I have found to the Berkley's.They are a little softer also. They will get hung up on hard items like stumps and trees but once you get the hang of retreiving them that seems to really not happen a lot. The storm wildeye swim shads are good also. They are a one piece swimbait with the hook already rigged up. They are pretty good but the Flatback shad from Berkely is the best I have ever used. It has the right colors, firmness, scent and vibration that makes fish eat them. They are not gulp so you wont get crap all over your nails and blouse. The Owner jig heads are expensive but they are by far the best bullet head in the world. They are heavy duty salt water grade and you can only get them online. The kalins work well and other triangle swimbait heads work also. I am not selling these just offering tips to my fellow fisherman. They work on many species and thats what makes them so impressive. I have never seen a bait that you can fish that will catch many different species. These are the best for Walleye and Pike, but the bass, musky, salmon, even catfish love these swimbaits.

5/30/18 @ 4:56 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

A larger beetle spins work good casted and pulled through the weeds

5/24/18 @ 1:39 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

Fishing walleye in the weeds at the lake where I live requires finding pockets at the weed edges where they turn in or out and fish those just outside the weed edge at dusk with leeches under small floats set about 18" deep . I let the breeze float this through these pockets and the walleyes do the rest . These shallow fish are very spooky , so usually have to be in place before the sun goes down , so as not to spook them when you arrive .

5/23/18 @ 12:44 PM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16
The berkely flatback shad with an owner jig head is not only the best walleye bait to throw in and around weeds but it is the best all around walleye bait in the world and actually is the best all around multi-species bait ever created. Doug Stange from In Fisherman was not joking or BS'ing when he wrote all of those articles and made all of those videos explaining how to fish, what colors, and where. Pearl Blue, Senorita, and herring are the best colors. If you throw any 3 of these you will cover almost every type of food available in the midwest. If I can crush walleye and northern around Chicago area waters with you know they work. When I bring them up north its crazy fun with the walleye, pike, musky, and bass. The storm wildeye swim shad is a close second in 4-6 inch. The berkely flatback shad is a crankin lure where you have to get your cadence down and get your rythym down. Its usually crank crank crank every 10-15 ft then do slight pauses. This lets the lure dive down a couple of feet, then continue crankin and repeat. If you encounter weeds with these rip them out very aggressively- you will often get hammered even when the lures is covered in weeds. Fishing these around weeds is the Key because green living weeds is where the life is in the whole ecosystem.Fishing in the open abyss is often pointless because there is no life. You want deep weed edges and deeper weeds- 6- 12 ft of living green weeds. That is the key to fishing these swimbaits and any swimbait is green living weeds.Cast out, let them go to the bottom. When they hit the bottom jerk up to hop the lure up 2-4 ft, then start your stop go retreive. The lure will be swimming very nicely a couple feet above the bottom and through the weeds and get ready for that hit cause they SLAM these. I am strict catch and release with everything but I have had to keep a couple walleye because they actually did swallow the 5 inch swimbait 80 percent pass the hook. They want to actually eat and swallow these. Its usually a violent hit. They look amazing in the water and they truely are the best walleye bait ever created.
6/2/17 @ 9:29 AM
Mystery Tackle Box
Mystery Tackle Box
User since 5/15/17

Most walleye anglers look for hard bottom structure, but weed beds can often hold the mother load of big eyes. There are a number of lures and presentations you can use to catch walleye out of the weeds. Flashy crank baits and spoons are some of the more popular choices. Here we break down everything you need to know about: How To Catch Walleye In The Weeds

Tight Lines!

8/30/16 @ 9:56 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

I'm not much of a walleye fisherman. I've targeted them with bobbers/jigs with live bait on humps/weedlines etc. I will say the best bite I've ever come across though was throwing swimbaits over/through the weeds. Caught some very nice avg sized fish. Using a 4-5" paddle tail bait on a swim jig head resulted in 8 fish on two different weedlines with an avg size of 22". Happened on the pattern while targeting bass lol. Now it happens often for me when I fish the northwoods(a few trips a year).

8/28/16 @ 9:54 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Read an article about using small safety pin spinners tipped with a live bait for walleye in weeds, let it sink to the bottom or nearly so.  Never used a safety spin spinner, will have to give that a try.

8/27/16 @ 9:19 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Don't forget pulling spinners with a small split shot or no weight at all over the weed tops.  Awesome way to catch fish.

8/4/16 @ 10:16 PM
Buttcheez
Buttcheez
User since 6/19/01

I love weed edges and jigging.  If you have a good walleye feel, this can be a lot of fun.  And yes, the gills will be pesty...  I will also vertical jig weeds if they are thick and I need to get into them.  Depending on how far down the top of the weeds are, you can also use rip shads over the top of the weeds.  This sometimes will get them to hit.

7/11/16 @ 1:05 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Fishing weeds is one of my least favorite presentations, but there are times it needs to be done.  If the weeds are up to the surface but you can get a line down, I either go wtih a bobber that I can drop straight down, or a jig that I can drop straight down.  If the weeds are not up to the surface and you can run your trolling motor through them, either run shallow crankbaits or spinners.  Spinners can be run with no weight or a small splitshot to get it down a little ways.  I do however like pulling spinners over weedbeds.

7/9/16 @ 12:21 PM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01

If I'm getting bothered by panfish with the crawler I'll either move to a different area with more walleyes and less panfish or I'll switch out to a large or jumbo leech. 

7/8/16 @ 7:32 AM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14

Thanks Gimper.  I would have thought the small Gills would drive you nuts.  But good info, will give it a shot. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE