Distance between crawler harness and weight

5/6/18 @ 11:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
nemab-man
nemab-man
USER since 7/5/11

Just lately I tried fishing a  crawler harness with about only eight inches between spinner and swivel with a 3/8oz. bell sinker(casting). Seems to work well on my weedy, muddy bottomed lake. Much more sensitivity to bites than a longer leash, and the sinker kicks up a bit of bottom right in front of the lure.

Anybody else try this, and how come most use 2'-3' of leader between spinner and hook anyways? Thanks.

Edited on 5/6/18 11:05 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
9/5/18 @ 8:17 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

The guide I fished with in Minnesota this summer had all his rods rigged with the swivel and weight near the tip of the rod and a double snelled hooks harness long enough to reach the hook keeper most rods have now. I use the same set up in part for stealth but also for easy storage in the boat. All his rods were between 6-7 feet long making the leader length 5-6 foot. We back trolled near structure and weeds. No casting. If casting I'd go with Griz's rig: shorter leader and bullet sinker.

Post Your Comment
8/20/18 @ 1:02 AM
fishydog
fishydog
USER since 8/24/01

nemab-man - I think the 2-3 ft of leader is generally the length you want for behind a bottom bouncer, as a starting point. Casting a spinner rig I want a shorter leader so I can manipulate the bait more. It all depends on the delivery method and the lake you're fishing in. In a gin clear lake I may want more than 3ft but in my home water (Wisconsin River) I can get away with a whole lot less. Experiment and let the fish tell you what they want.

Post Your Comment
7/10/18 @ 10:04 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02

I would agree with thump. However, don’t get too long either. I usually go 6’ ish in open water but shorten no more than 4’ with shallow water. (6’ or less) I like the undulating action better than jerky action. Also, weeds do play a part. You obviously don’t want to hook up the weeds either.

My .02 is somewhere there.

Post Your Comment
5/7/18 @ 1:43 PM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04

With a very short leader, your bait can get too "fidgety" for lack of a better word.

Picture trolling in rough water with your rod tip or planer board bouncing from the waves...all that movement is transferred to the sinker.With a very short leader, the worm follows the weight closely and moves fast and jerky. With a longer leader, the weight can go up/down without imparting such sudden, erratic movements to the worm.

A longer leader provides a little bit of stretch (if using braid for main line) which can be handy when it comes time to get a big girl into the net.

A longer leader provides more of a visual buffer from the fish seeing your main line. 

Edited on 5/7/18 1:43 PM
Post Your Comment
5/7/18 @ 8:26 AM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Use as short of a leader as you can get away with. 

Post Your Comment
5/7/18 @ 4:57 AM
grizwald
grizwald
USER since 2/6/09

I use a bullet sinker with 2 to 3 feet leader but, I am trolling above the weeds. Never used that technic before. Would work good before weeds get tall.

Post Your Comment