Any worthy walleye rods under $50?

3/2/15 @ 9:36 AM
ORIGINAL POST
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Anyone have a favorite walleye spinning rod under $50. Looking for light or medium light action. Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts
5/21/16 @ 12:28 PM
GRANDAD
GRANDAD
USER since 6/1/09

I have a half a dozen IM6 and IM7 medium action walleye rods NEVER paid more than $35 for any and they have caught a LOT of Walleyes! if you can't feel a jig or rig bite on a $40 rod your not going to feel it on a $200 ST Croix!The last IM7 I bought for my wife cost $35 At Cabelas and she loves it!

Post Your Comment
5/20/16 @ 6:54 AM
Animated1
Animated1
USER since 1/20/09

I have a few Quantum rods that have worked well for me over the years.

Fleet Farm would be a great place to look.

Post Your Comment
5/16/16 @ 12:16 PM
Captain Andy Platko
Rough House
USER since 6/19/15

Hard to beat a ugly stik. I have one that's older than I am and still has a lot of life left in it. Another rod to check out is shimano convergence series. I have a 6'6" model and it works great for casting for walleyes.

Rough-House Charter
(724) 664-3136
Post Your Comment
5/13/16 @ 11:51 AM
velocity
velocity
USER since 5/12/16

I wouldn't stop at the St. Croix store. Nothing there. Best bet  is to shop around like the OP did and find deals that way. I'm just saying'.

velocity

Post Your Comment
4/27/16 @ 7:39 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I buy some at the St. Croix factory store once in a while. If you dig through the bins of $30 rods, just remember they are ones that had tips broken off and repaired. So they will be shorter than the label says. I try to find the ones that are missing an inch only. That is why I have Avid series bobber rods. Wink

The factory B and C rods are good too. Minor blemishes but function fine. Those are marked down accordingly. I try to stop there every time I drive through, never know what you'll find.

Post Your Comment
4/26/16 @ 2:50 PM
wallywood
wallywood
USER since 1/1/02
I only buy rods that are under $50.In the past I thought more expensive ones would be so much better. they really is not much difference between a nice $40 Berkley or a $180 Loomis.Besides you don't feel as bad when you break a $40 rod.

Post Your Comment
4/19/16 @ 5:50 AM
trouter
trouter
USER since 7/3/01
Stop in at the St. Croix outlet in Park Falls. Chances are good you will find a great walleye rod at a reasonable price.

I am not a rich man, but I do find deals on rods there even I can afford.

Post Your Comment
4/18/16 @ 12:22 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Ugly Stiks are decent rods for the price for certain applications but walleye fishing is one place where they suck! Maybe for cranks, rigging, or slip bobers but for anything finesse like jigging there's not sensativity. Look at one of the Scheels store brands, they are generally made in the same factories as the brand names (sometimes they even copy the cosmetics) and are sold for much less as they get rid of the middle man. Mark up on rods is huge, a rod that sells for $100 costs about $15 to make so the manufacture pays $15, sells for $50 and then the retailer sells it for $100. With store brands they pay $15 and sell it for $60, the store makes more money and you pay less - a win win!

Post Your Comment
4/18/16 @ 10:43 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
This is not $50 but Cabelas has their Daiwa Sealine trolling combos on sale for $90 now with free shipping. Only issue is that the planerboard ones are backordered until July. If you don't need them for a while, they are marked way down currently. Regular is $160.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/DAIWA-SEALINE-X-TROLLING-COMBO/1751057.uts

I actually ordered 2 last week when they were at $119 each, then saw this sale and cancelled that order to get them at the current price.

Post Your Comment
4/17/16 @ 8:23 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Don't know if the sale is still on but Cabelas had their Fish Eagle rods on sale last weekend. 50% off. I got a great $90 rod for $45. My only regret is that I should have bought two.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts