MORE
Upland/Small Game

Squirrels

9/21/17 @ 1:10 PM
INITIAL POST
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07

Anyone hunting squirrels? In the past I have spent my fall chasing deer and waterfowl, but had never given much thought to squirrel hunting. This year I'm planning to make regular trips into the woods dedicated to squirrels. It seems like a lot of fun, and should make me a better all around hunter.

What are your preferred locations and methods during the course of a hunting season? So far I've taken one short trip with no squirrels seen. The area had a few scattered beech trees, but I don't think enough to hold any number of squirrels. My plan for now is to hunt slowly through stands of oak and beech trees, maybe stopping for 20 minutes or so if the area looks good. Am I on the right track? Thanks for any reports or info.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
9/23/17 @ 12:48 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

You are welcome. The thing about hickory trees is they always turn yellow and are usually, but not always the first trees to completely change colors. 

Even though squirrels are not the bearers, they are game animals, you can sell the whole hide and tail to a trapper that will be selling  fur to a buyer. It is a bit of a challenge, but you will get a little more than just the tail.

9/22/17 @ 2:05 PM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07

I hear you guys on seeing squirrels while you deer hunt. It's amazing how much noise they can make.

I was planning on leaving my deer spots alone and hunting public land for the squirrels. I'm not sure there's many hickory trees around me, but I do know of a spot or two where public land is adjacent to corn fields, so I will give that a try. I may even find a new spot to hunt deer. Thanks for the info A5. 

9/22/17 @ 12:46 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

It's a whole bunch easier when the leaves drop, but you can still find them early on. Around here, I hunt by the river bottoms. The oaks and hickory trees are a great place to stalk or sit. Farm field egdes with field corn are hard to beat. They leave little trails back to the home tree and drop the empty cobs on the forest floor. Distressed baby squirrel calls are another way to bring them out.

9/22/17 @ 9:36 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Yeah what fishmunkee said! Every year when deer hunting I get psyched out by squirrels thinking a deer is coming. Every year I say I'm gonna thin out some of the squirrels but never do, maybe this year?? Did tons of rabbit hunting growing up and took the occasional squirrel but have never strictly squirrel hunted. Good luck!

9/22/17 @ 7:41 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Go deer hunting. You wil see a lot of squirrels.

9/21/17 @ 7:32 PM
jkruck13
User since 6/8/14
sit, leaning against a tree, go to sleep, they will wake you
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE