pheasant land for 1 guy to help with dog

11/2/15 @ 10:39 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Landin' Lunkers
Landin' Lunkers
USER since 6/4/12
I'm sure I'll get some bashing for asking this but is there anyone in the s.e. part of Wisconsin that happens to have pheasants on their property that I could hunt 1 morning with my pup? It's his first season and the spots in waukesha and surrounding area I hunt people tell me about how their buddies tip them off on bird release dates and then they go out and shoot most of them while I work. My dog and I are getting discouraged. I don't have a ton of extra cash for game farms and have 2 young kids at home. So if anyone would let me do a bit of hunting I would really b appreciative of that. Thanks for reading. You can p.m. me if you'd like.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
12/1/15 @ 7:03 AM
merkw09
merkw09
USER since 3/2/11
If you dont mind company head to bong its $12. You can shoot a limit without a dog out there.

Post Your Comment
11/8/15 @ 1:24 PM
Landin' Lunkers
Landin' Lunkers
USER since 6/4/12
Troy I sent p.m.

Post Your Comment
11/8/15 @ 5:48 AM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
If you're willing to travel north a bit, I'll take you out. Went through a similar situation a couple years ago. I remember how it is.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
11/7/15 @ 6:00 AM
Landin' Lunkers
Landin' Lunkers
USER since 6/4/12
Thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully things start looking up lol

Post Your Comment
11/6/15 @ 11:09 AM
lilygirl
lilygirl
USER since 6/20/06
I do agree that you can find birds on public land in SE Wisconsin but you may have to do some walking. I try to park off the beaten path and hit the edges and I usually see birds.

Post Your Comment
11/6/15 @ 10:49 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07
Hate to say it but you will do better getting away from SE, Wisconsin. The further you get from Milwaukee or northern Illinois, the better. Just like grouse hunting, get off the beaten path and you will find more birds. I think you can find the managed pheasant hunting areas on the DNR website. That should help. There are some nice areas in the north/central part of the state that go pretty untouched.

Post Your Comment
11/3/15 @ 8:04 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Is that really how some pheasant hunters get their birds? Follow the DNR trucks around and shoot domesticated birds shortly after they're released into unfamiliar territory? We should re-purpose the DNR Biologists to just hand out rotisserie chickens at the the parking lots. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
11/2/15 @ 8:16 PM
flyguy329
flyguy329
USER since 1/25/06
Landin Lunkers..I hunt 2 areas in central WI...I really dont have an answer for your question but I will tell you a couple observations Ive made over the years.

1. Yes, guys meet the trucks...However do not let that discourage you. I get limits every time...no matter the time. See below for tricks.

2. Learn the places that hold birds and what time in the day they do. Where I hunt most guys are morning hunters. They walk a few hundred yards from the truck. If thy dont see one they get back in the car and go somewhere else all the while complaining that the DNR has not released them. Get out and walk! I dont know why this is but I have flushed many birds next to my car after already walking through the area.

The other part is learn where the birds prefer to be. I have my early morning spots. My birds like trails and cut grass roads. They would rather not be in the thick stuff (though Im sure they are there as well). Im convinced they like the trails because its an easier life. They can run away from most things and dont have to do much work. Back to spots....I have spots that I can guarantee produce every time. Only problem is, the dog knows this too. He is well trained but has a difficult time resisting the urge to bolt right to the go to places.

As far as afternoon. My birds hold in old pond beds. They've been bumped all day. When they land they prefer to find that old pond bed in the middle of thick cover.

I guess ultimately, what Im saying is dont be fooled by those that follow trucks. There are so many birds that dont get shot.

3. This is likely not the purist answer but I walked at a fast pace. Im sure I miss a handful but I keep my dog clipping along. Unfortunately with released birds they are there or not at all. Not the case with wild...With wild they live there and are always around. I may have to walk a couple miles to find the 2 in the area. Ive tried to slow the pace but it does not seem as effective.

4. Take note on the guys hunting away from the crowds? There are places where I hunt that only get hit by a few of us. Theres often a reason why theres 1 truck down the road and 15 trucks at the dog training parking lot.....

Finally, don't get discouraged. Youll figure things out and know where to find the birds with no people. Hope any of this helps. Again, your area might be substantailly different than mine.

Post Your Comment
11/2/15 @ 8:13 PM
flyguy329
flyguy329
USER since 1/25/06
Landin Lunkers..I hunt 2 areas in central WI...I really dont have an answer for your question but I will tell you a couple observations Ive made over the years.

1. Yes, guys meet the trucks...However do not let that discourage you. I get limits every time...no matter the time. See below for tricks.

2. Learn the places that hold birds and what time in the day they do. Where I hunt most guys are morning hunters. They walk a few hundred yards from the truck. If thy dont see one they get back in the car and go somewhere else all the while complaining that the DNR has not released them. Get out and walk! I dont know why this is but I have flushed many birds next to my car after already walking through the area.

The other part is learn where the birds prefer to be. I have my early morning spots. My birds like trails and cut grass roads. They would rather not be in the thick stuff (though Im sure they are there as well). Im convinced they like the trails because its an easier life. They can run away from most things and dont have to do much work. Back to spots....I have spots that I can guarantee produce every time. Only problem is, the dog knows this too. He is well trained but has a difficult time resisting the urge to bolt right to the go to places.

As far as afternoon. My birds hold in old pond beds. They've been bumped all day. When they land they prefer to find that old pond bed in the middle of thick cover.

I guess ultimately, what Im saying is dont be fooled by those that follow trucks. There are so many birds that dont get shot.

3. This is likely not the purist answer but I walked at a fast pace. Im sure I miss a handful but I keep my dog clipping along. Unfortunately with released birds they are there or not at all. Not the case with wild...With wild they live there and are always around. I may have to walk a couple miles to find the 2 in the area. Ive tried to slow the pace but it does not seem as effective.

Finally, don't get discouraged. Youll figure things out and know where to find the birds with no people.

Post Your Comment