How to Dove hunt

10/10/14 @ 9:47 AM
ORIGINAL POST
mike51098
mike51098
USER since 1/10/08
Can anyone give me some tips on Dove hunting? I hunt the public sunflower fields, gotten a few just walking through. I've done a little sitting with a few decoys. Anyone have any tips that might help me? What times of day is usually best for doves? Thanks everyone.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
10/17/14 @ 12:29 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07
flyguy. Agree 100%. Mornings are best. Powerlines and dead trees will tell you all you need to know about numbers and cloudy overcast gets them moving. Sunny day? Stay home.

Post Your Comment
10/16/14 @ 11:48 AM
flyguy329
flyguy329
USER since 1/25/06
Mike,

Here are a couple of my suggestions.....

Ive hunted many fields considered DNR "dove fields." Oddly enough only one of them has produced. With that I mean you go during prime time and the doves are all over (your chances of limiting out are good if you can shoot). Ive also hunted "dove fields" where guys are sitting and nothing is flying. When I talk to these same guys they are excited because they saw 5 doves pass within a 2 hour time. Personally, this isnt dove hunting. To me its like fishing a backwater that is inaccessible to the fish. Sure you may catch a blue gill here or there but you really should relocate to the water that holds fish. Back to the topic. I just don't think sunflowers holds a lot of birds here. I see more birds in millet and other types of grain found on private land. I wish the DNR would switch things up a bit. Ive only been on one of their properties that truly produces.

Anyways on to suggestions.

1. From experience, best days for doves flying are overcast. 2. Mornings seem better than afternoons. 3. Based on 2 know where the birds are at time. Hunt the roosts at night and have great success. Hunt the birds in a field during feeding time you have great success. Find those roosts. Youll know when you find them. Often its a dead tree and is going to be loaded with birds. Personally, Im not going to hunt there if there are 4 doves roosting. Find the place with lots of birds. 4. Best way to find birds on public or private is to check powerlines. Watch for them in mornings or afternoons. They often perch up there. 5. If you hunt a place and only see a handful its likely not you or the time you are there. THe birds are not there. Drive around and find them. Plenty to be had, you just have to find the flock.

Anyways, some suggestions that I hope help. Dove hunting can be magical when the birds are piling in. When the times are great youll be dropping them in the field and others will be decoying just as fast to the dead birds.

Post Your Comment
10/15/14 @ 4:53 PM
phowlsant
phowlsant
USER since 2/25/12
Best hunts for me and the crew are overcast days pass shooting them while they head back into the marsh to roost...

Post Your Comment
10/15/14 @ 7:43 AM
DuckSlayin88
DuckSlayin88
USER since 9/13/11
Keep after it Mike and that is really the best I can suggest. What part of the state are you in? Don't be afraid to drive and scout a bit either. Most public areas where I hunt are a zoo, so I stay clear of them. I've done my fair share of knocking on doors, so I definitely suggest the same. The farmers I have permission from say they get asked a lot, so make sure you "sell yourself" and be respectful. They are a goofy bird to figure out and to be honest, I still have a lot to learn. Just don't be afraid to take slow walks and see what you can kick up. They've actually been holding really tight when we do our mini drives lately. Good luck!

Post Your Comment
10/10/14 @ 2:28 PM
mike51098
mike51098
USER since 1/10/08
Thanks Duckslayin,

This year was the second time I tried dove hunting. I usually hunt alone, but in early dove season since its warm I take my daughter who is 7 so we kinda just walk and I call it dove hunting. I've gotten a couple with her.

I thought mornings would be best. I probably just need to let her sleep and try to get out early once or twice a year.

Post Your Comment
10/10/14 @ 10:31 AM
Rempump
Rempump
USER since 5/8/03
This has been a very slow year for dove hunting. A majority of the DNR sun flower fields failed and are not attracting birds. The several cold snaps we had in late August and Early september sent many birds south. The remaining birds are in pockets and a little harder to find.

Decoys and mojos help draw in birds and both sitting and walking them up will work.

Post Your Comment
10/10/14 @ 10:03 AM
DuckSlayin88
DuckSlayin88
USER since 9/13/11
Mike - I'll try to help a little as I have been hunting them for a while now, even know this has been my worst year yet. I tend to do the best with them in the morning. You'll see a few buzzing around right before dark, but to me they are far and few between. They key is finding a big dead tree (or minimal leaves) or some kind of short cut fields where they'll be eating. My group has actually been walking cut corn fields with success. I know a decent amount of guys who use mojos and decoys. If you are a sitter, never hurts to have those. Don't be afraid to do a little walking and kick up birds. Let me know if you have other specific questions...

Post Your Comment