How Many Dogs?

3/1/15 @ 5:55 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Shad
Shad
USER since 8/27/01
For you Die Hard Upland Hunters, how many dogs do you take on a trip with you? We have a resort in Ontario and have a group of 3 looking to bring 16 dogs? While I love to hunt, I can only see bringing 2 at most, anybody have thoughts on this?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
3/4/15 @ 8:01 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
I agree with others - very much depends. Hunting for pheasants, we can burn up quite a few dogs if warm. So then we will load the truck up as much as we can - 10 dogs with 4 guys. This fall I am probably going to head to Ontario (1st time for me there) and will probably bring all the dogs (7 between 3 hunters). However, if the weather is cool and some moisture on the ground, I can run my shorthair almost all day long without a break.

Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 7:46 PM
Shad
Shad
USER since 8/27/01
I have a resort in northern Ontario where we hunt Grouse. The terrain can be tough especially in fresh clear cuts for Sharptails, but for the other 2 variety of grouse terrain is generally 5-15 year old aspen stands with some big timber. Since I am in the stuff everyday along with my dog, I did not consider how much or little other dogs work except for the few weeks of hunting season?

Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 3:27 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
MEMBER since 3/14/06
If it's a long trip, ( more than a week), dogs get beat up. Especially if the weather is a little warm. One hunter bringing 5 dogs could have a young dog or two, not fully broke yet, and perhaps an older dog that can't run much per day. Maybe a dog that runs big and used more in open terrain. You never know. My Dad raised pointing dogs and never, until he was too old to hunt much, had fewer than 6 dogs in the kennel. Me and my brother both have labs now and when we make our annual N. Dakota trip we bring them all! My wife likes it that way! That's her Sweetest Day present. No hubby or dogs for a week!!

Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 1:21 PM
Fishmiester
Fishmiester
USER since 6/17/09
Shad,way to many questions to be answered????????

What are you hunting? How rough is the terrain? How many days are you hunting?

These specifications would be good to know to be able to give you any kind of answer.

Post Your Comment