MORE
Upland/Small Game

Halter Wildlife Preserve

1/16/15 @ 6:44 PM
INITIAL POST
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Hunted at Halter today. Can't say enough... This is as close to wild bird hunting as it gets. For starters, the terrain is just awesome. Lots of Sorghum, fields, ponds, hills, trees, valleys, marsh - it is as good as it gets. Many places are just flat fields. Also, Halter does not plant birds for each hunt, rather they let a ridiculous number of birds go, and you pay for how many you shoot. The birds you shoot have been roaming free for months, and they have feeders all over the place. Really a neat experience. We had a group of 5 today and we folded about 20 birds. Easily the best preserve I've ever been to.
Halter Wildlife Preserve photo by Plmlk
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
11/21/18 @ 8:33 AM
WHACKAPHSNT
User since 11/21/18

PLMLK,

I think you have good friends/hosts that lie to you about what it costs to hunt Halter. $15.00/ bird?? maybe in 1988!

11/21/18 @ 8:28 AM
WHACKAPHSNT
User since 11/21/18

memebers only...

12/21/17 @ 7:36 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Its basicly a country club for shooting instead of golf. Awesome place. There is a waiting list to get in.

12/17/17 @ 8:46 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

That is funny Bdub!  Have two buddies who are members, both don't have any cash problems.  The guide told me to shoot often, as shotgun shells were the cheapest thing there. 

It would also explain the stories I've heard about Wrigley showing up here and there in his helicopter lol!

Either way, what an awesome place!

12/17/17 @ 1:40 AM
Bdub
User since 5/19/10

This is an awesome place, but don't be fooled, it's not $15/bird. Have you ever heard of if you have to ask, you can't afford it?  Welcome to Halter. There's no waiting list, you have to be sponsored to join, and loaded. 

12/16/17 @ 10:35 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

A pic. of last years hunt.  My boy got a bonus squirrel!

12/16/17 @ 10:28 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Had an awesome time with the boys yesterday.  We ended up with 31 birds.  

For the most part we all shot fairly decent, but of course missed some easy pass shots.  Had one rooster that 3 of us unloaded on, and he kept right on flying.  Think those screw-ups at Remington forgot to put lead in a few of my shells! lol

You have to be a member to hunt at Halter. It is currently a 2 or 3 year waiting list.  I'm not a member, but have a buddy who is who takes me once or twice a year.  

I thought it was $20 a bird, but my buddy told me yesterday it is closer to $15.  When you schedule your hunt, they tell you what area you are hunting, you don't pay anything extra to reserve a field.  You pay the yearly membership (which I'm unsure of the amount), and pay for the birds that you shoot.  

The neatest part about Halter (other than the awesome terrain) is that they release birds daily, and have feeders all over the place.  The released pheasants are living just like their wild brethren, and don't act like birds that were released 10 minutes before the hunt!.

12/15/17 @ 10:25 AM
lilygirl
User since 6/20/06

I tried to find information about this hunt club online but there was not much about the hunting at the club.  Do you have to be a member or can you reserve a time?  What is the cost to hunt on the land?  I know you said you pay for what you shoot but does it cost to reserve and hunt a field?  thanks

12/14/17 @ 7:16 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Headed back to Halter tomorrow - I'll post a few pics. after the hunt. 

1/16/15 @ 6:50 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
A few more...
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE