Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 10:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 81 to 90 of 1,934 Posts
10/24/17 @ 1:13 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Agree Gracepoint - the amount of cutting going on, and the past 10-15 years is just great.  Habitat in NOT the issue.  Like I have mentioned in the past, even my best of covers are not holding birds. 

Post Your Comment
10/24/17 @ 12:54 PM
Graceonpoint
Graceonpoint
USER since 10/24/17

I hope it was the wet summer!    My report after two weeks is similar.

The population crashed in KY a few years ago and biologist want to blame habitat loss.  Habitat loss would be a gradual decline our birds were gone basically in 3 years.   I suspected a disease and tried to bring attention to it.  What know one wants to talk about is the Coincidence of grouse populations tanking when wild turkeys move in.   This has occurred up and down the Appalachian mts.  I suspect turkeys may carry a disease or parasite into the woods.   Just hypothesis we’ll see certainly can’t blame it on habitat in the industrial forest lands on northern WI

Post Your Comment
10/24/17 @ 9:18 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Even the biologists are guessing when they blame the wet weather ruining the nesting seasons but west nile is scientifically verifiable dependent upon funding.

I noted a lack of insects this spring and summer wonder if there is a relationship there. Also noted was the presence of ice rather than snow for good of last winter and spring of 2017.

Post Your Comment
10/24/17 @ 8:27 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Hunter&Hound - yes - on that board too, so if you are seeing my info in two places - not two different guys.

While I agree this past spring hatch had the deck stacked against them, there is more to what is going on than just a wet spring (barstool biologist here).  I am thinking it has to be something like the west Nile. 

I keep going back to past hunts.  Had a honey hole for the past 5+ years.  Very remote area, NEVER saw another hunter there.  In 2015 I was putting up 15-25 birds when I hunted it.  I harvested 2-3 in 2015.  In 2016, the road was washed out and no one could hunt it, including me.  Hit it in 2017 and flushed 1.  No other signs of anyone else in the area.  So I scratch my head - what happened.  The old birds should have no issue surviving a wet spring.  It is the hatch that suffers.  When I was there, plenty of food - like an over abundance.  Just no birds.

FWIW - my flush rate is down 63% form 2015.  This is my worst year ever. 

Harvested 9 grouse so far this year.  Last year was over 20 at this time. 

Edited on 10/24/17 8:28 AM
Post Your Comment
10/24/17 @ 3:01 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

I did a little eavesdropping at UJ and some are saying its their worst season ever in 20-40 years.

Post Your Comment
10/23/17 @ 8:47 PM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

Upland Journal

Post Your Comment
10/23/17 @ 8:42 PM
Formerly the big guy
Formerly the big guy
MEMBER since 10/3/11

H&H what is UJ?

Post Your Comment
10/23/17 @ 5:24 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

SJB, those minty leaves would be wintergreen. A grouse favorite.  I have been noticing there are almost no berries on them this year.  Then on saturday we were along the shore of a remote lake. There were berries on them near the water.  Been on the lookout since near water sources.

As for the bird numbers. Absolutely agree they are way down. Regardless of who I talk to it's the same thing. Talking with old salts, and the DNR. The belief is the heavy spring rains. Knocked out both the first and second broods. Not a good thing.

If you have not heard about it. The MI DNR issued a statement which was posted to the MI RGS  facebook page.  Stating they have been finding west nile virus in birds across the UP.  That if you harvest a bird that is or looks skiny. To not eat it, and contact the DNR.   So us WI hunters should be on the lookout, and do just the same. Hopefully it does not find its way to our birds.

Now how about a laugh.  There I was today. Deep in the woods bent over pushing one out. When suddenly above my head a grouse explodes. Talk about literally scaring the crap out of you!!

Post Your Comment
10/23/17 @ 3:32 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

Hunted some great cover today,flushed one grouse and six woodcock.for a change I shot well and got three woodcock.Last week I was hunting Florence county shot one grouse in 4days and six woodcock.This is by far the worst season I have had on grouse in 40 years.It does not help that my springer is 11 and is a shell of himselve.

Post Your Comment
10/23/17 @ 3:04 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

River_Chaser.

Same dog in the avatar as in the photos.  Lucy is a Weimaraner.  She turned 10 on October 11th.  This is her tenth season hunting.  She is not as fast as she used to be but her nose always points me in the right direction.  She is a big female for a Weimaraner.  

Post Your Comment
Displaying 81 to 90 of 1,934 Posts