Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 81 to 90 of 2,006 Posts
2/2/18 @ 11:58 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

So I have a request for information.  

My son is looking at schools in Wisconsin and Michigan for college.  He has been accepted to Central Michigan.  He is an avid grouse hunter and likes the idea that it is close to the Huron-Manistee national forest.  I've only hunted grouse in Wisconsin and the U.P.  Never lower Michigan.  Anyone know if the grouse population is any good?  I looked over the DNR maps and it appears many of the forests are older with some smaller areas of young aspen and clear cuts.  

Yes this is a strange way to make a final decision about which college to attend.  But as a dad, I'm kind of happy that he is taking it into consideration.  Plus we would go hunting when I visit him in the fall!  Appreciate any feedback you have.  Thanks.

Post Your Comment
12/21/17 @ 5:46 AM
blackbrd
blackbrd
USER since 1/9/07
Honestly, from what I have seen by my place in the u.p. numbers were really strong until this year and I think it had alot to do with a wet cold spring.  Very few young birds seen, but still fair numbers.  We really only shoot a few off the property in years when there is a boom hatch.

Post Your Comment
12/20/17 @ 10:53 AM
by the finn
by the finn
USER since 9/4/01

add West Nile virus to the list of factors contributing to decreased grouse numbers. Hunt in the U.P. and 3 birds tested positive that were shot. Not birds our group shot but hunters who volunteered to participate in statewide DNR program. Numbers in our area were consistently lower last few years.

Post Your Comment
12/17/17 @ 10:44 AM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

The implication is for tribal members in the ceded territory, yes.

The real answer is no.

Post Your Comment
12/17/17 @ 9:31 AM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01
My reading comprehension isn't the best, but did he say it's OK to shoot from the road, even if you shoot at a house?

Post Your Comment
12/16/17 @ 11:12 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

One individual here made it a point not once but several times that as a guide Steve should have no rights on public land.  Yet this thread and several other threads makes it obvious that people are using the public land to be game hogs and fish hogs and poachers.  Just saying some people have misplaced priorities and hypocritical values.

Post Your Comment
12/16/17 @ 9:24 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

What?

Post Your Comment
12/15/17 @ 11:34 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Its funny, on other threads this ratdumass says guides like me should not be on any public land! Yet here, I see folks consistently saying slob hunters are the problem. Other threads its the natives in ceeded Territory. Which for you city folk. Means if a deer is in your front yard. Your house is behind that deer. Its fully legal to shoot that deer from the road. With no consequences if that bullet passes through that deer into your house!!  It's ceeded territory, and the right of those who are thus entitled! Then you are complaining about a far greater minority of of road hunters. I put a average of 10 miles a day on my boots 300 days a year!!  Yet listen to, and got to deal with all this crap. In the end of it,  i am piss broke, and about to lose the window to through the pot out off! Want to talk about spearing next?  Of course from you your warm arm chair. While many like me end up homeless!!  That's the facts Jack. So bring it on. I am on the verge of loosing it,and really have no care what any weekend warrior has to say! I will leave it at that!! So you dont need crayons tomorrow!

Post Your Comment
12/15/17 @ 9:43 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

In 1999 I shot a 140 buck with my bow on opening day of the bow season.Next day I went grouse hunting and shot a limit of 5 first time ever, never did it again.I am more proud of that limit of grouse than I am of that deer.Now I have shot 3 often and 4 a few times.Now I know guys that shoot limits from atvs and trucks but that is not legal now.

Post Your Comment
12/15/17 @ 9:34 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

In my area 80 to 90% are shot of the roads,I seldom see hunters in the woods.I have never seen any one hunting grouse after deer gun season,inover 40 years.Dropping the limit from 5 would do nothing.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 81 to 90 of 2,006 Posts