Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 71 to 80 of 1,944 Posts
11/5/17 @ 11:02 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Sorry have not posted in awhile. Not even sure how many times been out since last posting. Its all sort of blending together. Maybe hunting in all this wet weather has something to do with it. Yes, hunted both snowy saturday's! 

Overall been much the same as everyone overall. Averaging 4-6 birds a day. Mostly grouse but still a few doodles around. Yesterday one of the guys before the hunt says, " dont look like it will be a good grouse day." Well it turned out to be one of the best all year. Put up 11 grouse, and 2 doodles. In about 5 hrs of hunting.

Hawkeye, I have to respectfully disagree with Tuddy.  I live in St Germain, guide, and am all over the area woods. Yes, there are some areas that are hunted hard. Mostly road hunters, so they are missing much of what is out there. Yesterday every bird we put up could not be road hunted. One area could not be driven, and the other. Well hunted hard is an understatement. However few leave the road, or trail if walking. That area the birds were well off the trail in the bush.  This year it seems most of the birds are closer to the trails though. But still far enough off to avoid the road hunters, and dogless folks. Being from 20-75yds in on average.  Our GSP's and the ones have had the pleasure to hunt with. Are getting the job done, but have to work hard as well.  Just a matter of putting some miles on the boots.

JKB,  although am pretty sure of the black berries in your crop picture.  Seen that buckthorn also has a black berry. Makes me wonder a bit if that could be them as well?  Not even sure grouse would eat buckthorn?

The crops we have examined have mostly had strawberry, wintergreen, and catkins in them. 

With the weather it's no wonder most of the birds we have found. Have been under or near balsams adjacent to, or in popple thickets.

Taking the day off this rainy Sunday, but starting to get an itch. Maybe will scout some other areas. Either way will be out at least 4 times this week with friends and clients. Will try to post anything exciting we find. 

Edited on 11/5/17 11:08 AM
Post Your Comment
11/3/17 @ 5:42 PM
1HAWKEYE1
1HAWKEYE1
USER since 2/25/13

Thanks for the info,  I appreciate it.

Post Your Comment
11/3/17 @ 8:00 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Vilas has some good cover but I’ve never hunted around St. Germaine. Some good new cover around Boulder and Woodruff. Drive the dirt road and you will find it. We flushed a good number of birds in the area around hwy M and N. 

Post Your Comment
11/2/17 @ 7:43 PM
1HAWKEYE1
1HAWKEYE1
USER since 2/25/13

Thanks.

Post Your Comment
11/1/17 @ 6:08 PM
Tuddy
Tuddy
USER since 1/17/05

St Germain area consists of abundant water and private land.  Any available public land is over hunted, and sparse for habitat.  That’s my opinion.  I’d go West...  good luck!

Post Your Comment
11/1/17 @ 5:56 PM
1HAWKEYE1
1HAWKEYE1
USER since 2/25/13

I am hunting in Vilas Co. near St. Germain. Hunted from 10 to 4 and put up one bird. Have a dog that is working so hard. 

Was here four weeks ago and hunted three days and saw two birds.

Anyone have any answers?

Post Your Comment
11/1/17 @ 1:09 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

This is exactly what youve all been waiting for cooler weather leaves have left the forest bare its 3 days after the weekend and not a single report. Someone had to do better........ brag a little please.

Post Your Comment
10/28/17 @ 12:22 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Mine are on nexgaurd chewable seems to be working well

Post Your Comment
10/28/17 @ 12:21 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Mine are on nexgaurd chewable seems to be working well