Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 61 to 70 of 2,013 Posts
6/19/18 @ 8:31 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Here at my place in St Germain got 11.5" of rain. Has made running our bear baits a huge chore. Wife has been doing a lot of it with my guiding/work load. Cut off by down trees, washouts, etc.  Busted my exhaust yesterday blasting through a 4ft deep mud hole!!  It's just a mess all over up here!!

I seen the DNR report, and some what believe it!!!!  So far have not heard a single bird drumming this year!!! In years past can sit having my morning tea on my patio as the sunrises. Hearing grouse drum, and turkeys gobble. Not a thing again this year. Have heard a few woodcock in the evening though!

Not seen a single crow in a long time. Just a handful of ravens. Something more is surely going on out there. My wife has even commented on seeing less turkeys!! 

I surely wont sugar coat things as you can tell. Dont matter though. The boys(shorthairs), and I will go out and find birds. Perhaps a few more miles will be involved in doing so. However, the bear dogs taking me to parts unknown. Often shorten those distances!!

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 6:02 AM
clueless
clueless
USER since 10/24/04

I seen on the Rhinelander news that Gile got 8.6". Drummond area In Bayfield county got over 15". Here in Sugar Camp we got over 7" between Fri and Sun evening. Hopefully chicks weren't in low areas. It was at least warm and there is plenty of insects for them to feed on.

Post Your Comment
6/18/18 @ 9:10 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Just heard Iron County closed all ATV trails due to incredible rainfall. Hopefully the nesting grouse didn’t get washed out.  Anyone hear similar?

Post Your Comment
6/17/18 @ 5:45 AM
TNVOL
TNVOL
USER since 10/10/17

Here's my Drahthaar puppy Coco!  Great hopes for the future for quail, grouse, pheasants, ducks, doves, and anything else that you can shoot on the wing!  She'll be hunting grouse and woodcock in Wisconsin in October regardless of what the population forecast is!

Edited on 6/17/18 10:08 AM
Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 1:40 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

True that!  We had great drumming reports last year and 2017 turned out to be the slowest season in as long as I can remember. They blamed the wet spring and early summer, west nile. You name it. I’ll hunt anyway. Just might need to put on more miles. 

Post Your Comment
6/14/18 @ 6:19 PM
TNVOL
TNVOL
USER since 10/10/17

A good hatch can make a big difference in spite of the drum counts.  Here's hoping for a a relatively dry June!

Post Your Comment
6/14/18 @ 2:21 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Still not as low as some of the years I've hunted.  And I always wind up with about the same number bagged even though I don't see as many.  Time for new boots.  Looks like I'll need em.

Post Your Comment
6/14/18 @ 1:58 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

-38% down in northern unit is very bad news.  My bet, WNV.  Should know by the end of 2018. 

Post Your Comment
6/14/18 @ 8:52 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Not good......

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/documents/reports/finaldrum.pdf

Post Your Comment
5/5/18 @ 3:19 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08