Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 60 to 69 of 2,106 Posts
9/25/18 @ 12:00 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Oh darn. You are correct. Had it sent to me by someone who claimed it was a done deal. I jumped the gun. My bad. 

I think the rationale is that the sick birds will not make it past November and that those who survive, should be protected to help breeding pairs in the spring. The whole thing is being figured out by people with way more understanding than I have. 

I still chuckle at the idea of changing the bag limit from 5 down to three. I don’t think I’ve ever limited out on grouse. Come close but not quite. They could make that limit two and I’d come in below that most days. 

Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 11:15 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Well from what Ive read on WNV some species bounce back and some species dont repopulate too well.  Grouse are one species that isnt repopulating at any noticeable speed after WNV affects the population based on what has been seen in the eastern states.

I got to thinking one day how is it that densely populated waterfowl dont get wiped out by WNV. I would think that being very social birds and being attrcted to wetlands where mosquitoes thrive would lead to devestating WNV infections.  Supposedly many species especially waterfowl are immune to the disease.

Edited on 9/25/18 11:24 AM
Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 11:04 AM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

An observation i made this past weekend was there were a lot of crows where i was also saw blue jays. When we got the west nile virus in Chicago I didn't see either,  and I lived across from a large forest preserve.  There were always alot of both before. 

Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 9:59 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Birdy that article is from June and has been discussed here. The NRB doesnt make official decisons.

Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 9:07 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Season officially shortened. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-smith/2018/06/27/resources-board-shortens-ruffed-grouse-season-cites-disease-concernsciting-disease-concerns-nrb-shor/736777002/

Post Your Comment
9/24/18 @ 9:33 AM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Got up on Friday it was spitting rain on and off dog got birdy once but no flush, Saturday was beautiful walked a lot two flushes didn't see them just too much foliage yet. Dosen't seem to be a promising season by us but we'll keep walking. No better time to be outside. Iron river michigan area.

Post Your Comment
9/24/18 @ 6:34 AM
BirdDog815
BirdDog815
USER since 3/11/17

Hunted a few hours both days over the weekend up north of Minnoqua.Moved 5 birds on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. Got one young bird Sunday. Suprised I didnt see as many woodcock as I expected but did flush a few.

Pretty green up there yet but was happy with the amount of birds for the short time we were in the woods.

Edited on 9/24/18 6:34 AM
Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 2:54 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

I'll be heading up to the Iron river michigan area tomorrow morning. Hope to hear some flushes weather is supposed to be great in the north woods. 

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 12:55 PM
Royal Wolf 55
Royal Wolf 55
USER since 9/20/18

Anyone hunting Douglas county and seeing any birds?

Post Your Comment
9/18/18 @ 6:58 PM
clueless
clueless
USER since 10/24/04
walked an hour an a half this evening. Much nicer tonight in the 50's. Dogs flushed 4 and I got 1 shot off but did not connect.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 60 to 69 of 2,106 Posts