Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 10:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 50 to 59 of 2,136 Posts
10/14/18 @ 5:27 PM
Partimer
Partimer
USER since 12/3/11

Hunted most of the day Sunday... great day in the woods, 2 flushes no shots... so many of the logging roads and trails in Iron, Co are flooded... went knee deep over the boots a couple times!

Post Your Comment
10/12/18 @ 11:40 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02

Depends on what you want. Some like the dog to be steady to wing (flush), shot and fall releasing only on command. Some like the dog to go on fall so they get a good mark (tough to see depending on cover). Some want breaking on shot believing that the dog will get to a cripple (maybe runner) faster. I am fine with my dogs doing that. I am not fine with them breaking on wing as I've seen some other guy's dogs jump for birds and be very close to the bird with their face when the (undisciplined hunter's) shot is fired.

I also don't mind if my dog understands the bird has moved (while I tried to get there) and relocates.

In a boat situation I want my dogs to be steady until I release them. Safety thing with tippy boat/canoe, limited space, etc. An unbexpected swim in chilly fall water is not fun.

Post Your Comment
10/12/18 @ 10:59 AM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

Curious here.No Judgment, just wondering. 

Lets say you have a dog on point. You walk up to him/her, flush the bird and shoot.

When is the ideal time for the dog to "break"?

Post Your Comment
10/12/18 @ 10:25 AM
Fritz
Fritz
USER since 6/27/01

Was in Price county last weekend. Saw 3 grouse, got 2.  Heard another 4 on Saturday and heard 5 on Sunday.

Never saw any woodcock.

Lots of leaves last weekend, but lots of color.  Should be coming down with the rain and wind.

Fritz

Post Your Comment
10/10/18 @ 4:05 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

When my Weimaraner was a pup under a year old, she would sometimes jump a bird instead of holding point. A great dog man told me never to shoot at a bumped bird. Said it would drive her nuts as all she wanted to do was fetch the bird to hand. He also told me to turn my back and walk away from her saying “noooooo” very loud  and low. As hard as it was, I did exactly what he told me. No shooting and turn around and walk away. The dog hated it and ran around me in circles whimpering.  It worked almost immediately.  That said, I also think bringing the check cord back in is a great idea. 

Edited on 10/10/18 6:14 PM
Post Your Comment
10/10/18 @ 3:16 AM
TNVOL
TNVOL
USER since 10/10/17
Yup,. She points but isn't holding because she's too excited! So back to the check cord!

Post Your Comment
10/9/18 @ 8:06 PM
Winchester30
Winchester30
USER since 10/20/12

He said it's a Drahthaar (German Wirehaired Pointer). Young dog probably breaking on the wing (flush).

He's doing the right thing putting the pup back on the checkcord. 

Good luck and enjoy the training!

It will be much more fun with a steady dog. 

Post Your Comment
10/9/18 @ 6:37 PM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

TN

What kind of dog? Is he/she just getting too excited? No expert by any means, just curious.

It sucks when you get good dogs on birds and can't produce - Not saying it's your fault, just in general. Still kinda thick.

I have a french britt. When she was a pup, I'd drag an old wing across the yard and tell her "find the bird". No problem. She'd even point it sometimes when she was really young. I had high hopes.

Drop a cup on the floor and she was gone from the room from day one.

Odd thing was, before a gun was ever fired over her (actually never did). When that gun came out of the case, she wanted nothing to do with it. Let it sit near where she slept for weeks, no noise, nothing. Hard to explain, she wouldn't go near it and never had been exposed to guns before. 

Post Your Comment
10/9/18 @ 4:59 PM
TNVOL
TNVOL
USER since 10/10/17

We've been hunting for 3 days, 2 in the rain with our 7 Mo old drahthaar.  First time for her on grouse!  We got skunked on Sunday in two of my better covers from last year but flushed 10 grouse in 3 hours yesterday and 8 today in and around the rain.  Coco has abandoned most of her training and is back on the check cord today.   I thought 8 flushes in 2.75 hrs in the rain was pretty good today!  I haven't fired a shot!

Post Your Comment
10/9/18 @ 3:57 PM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

Migr8r - I'm fascinated by your comments on cripples.  I'm curious about the # of each and over how many years?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 50 to 59 of 2,136 Posts