Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 2,006 Posts
7/1/18 @ 10:33 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

I’m agreeing with r_c on this one.  Plenty of good habitat until it gets too mature.  A stamp ain’t gonna fix that.  Now a little more lumberin’ or a “let burn” from time to time could do wonders.

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 8:48 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Not a fan of stamping the grouse.  First off we already have the best habitat in the world and plenty of it.

Second I dont believe that the diseases that kill wild birds are manageable and for certain there is no known way to manipulate the 11 yr cycle. So exactly what are supposed to manage with stamp money?

Artificial breeding and planting of grouse? I think a lot of grouse hunters would turn away from the hunt if given that choice..

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 6:58 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08

I would be good with a grouse stamp although I'd be concerned that the proceeds would just end up in a general fund. 

As far as road hunting, it should just be eliminated. The few rules associated with it are already not being followed by most. Adding more wouldn't help.

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 6:10 PM
JS Outdoors
JS Outdoors
USER since 2/28/16

I saw this mentioned elsewhere and found it interesting.            Who would be in favor of a grouse stamp in the future, with the proceeds going into research and developing better habitat? I would be in favor, but i must admit i would have concerns of the funds being properly allocated. Times have changed and we need to change with them. Grouse are one of our last great resourses and deserve the neccessarry attention. Based on a less than stellar track record  lets hope the DNR gets this one correct. 

I would also be in favor if stiffer rules regarding road hunting. Although that could prove difficult at best to enforce. 

Edited on 7/1/18 6:16 PM
Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 8:50 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
What a joke,hunting has little to do with grouse numbers.In over 50 years of grouse hunting I have seen but a hand full hunting in december. 

Post Your Comment
6/29/18 @ 4:46 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Agreed on the road hunting. We hunted north of Mercer one year in some unfamiliar cover. All we saw one after the other was guys in trucks cruising the back roads looking to shoot birds off the ground. I don’t decry anyone a meal but walk the trails. Don’t drive them in a truck or ATV. It’s not sporting. 

Post Your Comment
6/29/18 @ 12:29 PM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

Has this actually be changed or is this a recommendation?  

Make it illegal to shoot off a gravel road and you'll save a lot more birds than closing the season early.  Spend some time and money chasing the road hunters that shoot them out the window...that'll have an impact...if anything does.

Post Your Comment
6/29/18 @ 9:28 AM
JKling
JKling
USER since 10/17/08

Looks like I won't contribute to any mortality. We hunt areas infested with deer ticks so typically we wait until cold weather to start hunting them. Last few years that didn't come with any consistency until late December. We've only encountered one other hunter in December and January in the 30+ years we've been hunting our areas (public). Hunting pressure is almost non existent after deer season thanks to deep snow, cold, jittery birds, and the start of the ice fishing season. I think the late season harvest is a very small percentage of the total so at least in areas we hunt that early closure won't impact hunting mortality.  

Edited on 6/29/18 9:30 AM
Post Your Comment
6/29/18 @ 9:12 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

I read the article. It stated that biologists were concerned that the number of mature birds shot last year vastly outnumbered the number of young first year birds which they believe hurt recruitment of breeding pairs this spring. They also said that West Nile likely killed off a good number of the younger birds. The reasoning for the early shutdown was because they believe the virus will kill 80% of the birds that contract it in the early part of the season. They want to preserve the healthy bird population that remains after November so there will be more breeding pairs in the spring. I don’t know, and I don’t know if they do either, if the measure will help but it makes some sense based on what the biologists said. As far as lowering the bag limit goes, I have never limited out on grouse in a single day. Woodcock yes but never got five grouse in a day. They could lower it and it wouldn’t make any difference. Those buggers elude me pretty consistently. Ha ha. 

Post Your Comment
6/28/18 @ 7:34 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

I just read the journal sentinel article on this subject/ Theyre keeping the bag limit at 5 per day.  I hate to be critical on this since its a hard decison to make but it looks like theyre not too serious about curtailing hunting mortality while appearing to keep tourism levels elevated.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 2,006 Posts