Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 2,106 Posts
10/2/18 @ 5:23 AM
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10

Just over 16 miles on the boots in 4 trips this season.  Dog has an easy 60 on the paw.  52 grouse contacts, 12 timberdoodle.  This hunt put 4 grouse in the bag and a doodle.  Have hunted 3 WI and one UP county.  

Post Your Comment
10/1/18 @ 6:23 PM
TNVOL
TNVOL
USER since 10/10/17

I checked FFlight out for Price County and it appears to work for me.  I don't see clearcuts specifically but it shows grouse and woodcock layers

Edited on 10/1/18 6:24 PM
Post Your Comment
10/1/18 @ 3:41 PM
Tacoeye
Tacoeye
USER since 7/28/16
Hunted the28th,29th,30th.took my 3.5 yr old chocolate lab female for the first time hunting grouse in the north woods .. Friday am she put up 6 in the first hour! My buddy shot the first bird in ten minutes of walking the cover. 2 were missed with poor shots on my behalf, most birds flushed aways out as dog was working scent close to me, the birds would flush out ahead of shooter and dog. Aspens with bumps and stumps were the best followed by young pines. Overall 16 birds seen/flushed. 1 hit maybe more?, 5 woodcocks .. crop In gullet was mushroom and small green leaves. Good hunting and remember to always look up at the trees!!

Edited on 10/1/18 3:42 PM
Post Your Comment
10/1/18 @ 9:45 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Still unable to see any of the DNR managed land and clear cut data for Price county in the Fflight app. Anyone know why?  All the other counties are populating. 

Post Your Comment
9/30/18 @ 8:25 PM
Brule100
Brule100
USER since 3/6/18

Spent 12 hrs in woods this weekend. Some of my best spots in Rusk County seem to have as many or more birds than last year. 

Post Your Comment
9/29/18 @ 6:23 AM
Hoody22
Hoody22
USER since 9/29/18

I am heading up to Ashland County next week?  How wet is the ground you there?  Will I need rubber boots?

Post Your Comment
9/28/18 @ 11:13 PM
WWYH
WWYH
USER since 5/24/16
I broke down and bought the system from scout n hunt.  I'll let you know how it goes starting next weekend. Will be up in Iron and Price County for the first 2 weekends in October. In first look I can't believe the cover I drove by that was not far off the road and I know nobody was hunting it. More curious on what cover is like.  According to the map it should be good.

Post Your Comment
9/28/18 @ 3:06 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Anyone else using the FFLIGHT app on the DNR site?  Ive been using it for a few years but this year, it is not populating much of the clear cut data for grouse and woodie habitat in some of the counties.  Nothing in Price which is strange.  I'm gonna try and refresh again tomorrow but it seems like its not showing a lot of the key data including county/state forest property designation.

Post Your Comment
9/28/18 @ 2:50 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Duffin;

I LIVE in the tag.  Ha ha.  The guys I hunt with think I'm nuts for diving into the thickest stuff I can find.  They say you can't get a shot off in the tag. But I always wind up with more contacts and birds bagged the everyone else.  Eventually I'll get too old to bushwhack but until that happens, I'm all in.  

As for the input on the 12 vs. 20 gauge.  I shoot open on top with IC or Mod in the second barrel.  If I'm using my auto, I just go Cyl or IC and use 7.5 followed by a 6 for the last shell.  12ga 7.5 shells deliver almost 100 more pellets than 20ga on average.  With a 1oz 20ga delivering about 330 pellets.  Maybe more pellets in the air with an open choke might cast a wider net.  We'll see.

I'm really excited for this season.  Don't care what the drumming counts say.  I'll just go deeper and work the seams and low areas as hard as I can.  

Post Your Comment
9/27/18 @ 9:02 PM
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10

Birdyboy, 

I just meant to get off the trails into the thick stuff e.g tag alder 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 2,106 Posts