Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 31 to 40 of 2,107 Posts
10/9/18 @ 1:42 PM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

9 shot?!!!! My buddy bought some by accident one time (20ga) and I told him he might as well be using salt. SOB out shot me that day though.

RC - I remember duck hunting about 25 years ago and thinking everything would be steel, well should say "non-toxic" sooner rather than later.

Just another classic law... I have hunted some land in Clark county. There are some small ponds in the woods where you can sometime jump some wood ducks - gotta have non-toxic and a plugged gun. Yet, I can go on the other side of the pond and grouse hunt with an unplugged gun an "toxic" shot and shoot over the pond.

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Post Your Comment
10/9/18 @ 9:36 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

If you put two pellets into the body cavity a grouse is dead.But I do agree steel is a good option.Back in the day market hunters used 9 shot it does not take much to drop a rough.

Post Your Comment
10/8/18 @ 11:44 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
I agree with RC about non-toxic shot or at least copper plated lead. Not so much for the spent shot being picked up by birds after but for the near miss shots where a pellet or two get inside the bird. Birds that are shot with plain lead shot and survive initially will end up with a bad infection and die slowly. Birds shot with copper plated or non-toxic shot will be wounded but often recover. I’ve shot a fair number of birds shot with plain lead and the infection is terrible. I’ve also shot a fair number of birds previously shot with copper plated and non-toxic shot and they were recovering. Same goes for turkeys and any other upland bird. I’m also a lot more comfortable accidentally ingesting a pellet or two of copper plated or non-toxic shot vs plain lead. I’m often surprised some people feed their children lead shot birds. 

Post Your Comment
10/8/18 @ 10:31 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Not required.  I decided to go that route using non-lead ammo where/when I can. 

Since we have used steel/nontoxic shot on waterfowl for 50 years its long past due to use it everywhere else.

Post Your Comment
10/8/18 @ 8:58 AM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

RC,

Why steel shot? Is it required?

Just curious.

Post Your Comment
10/7/18 @ 9:50 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Definitely I am off to a slow start this year.  killed my first grouse today. I was on a old, narrow logging trail when it flew up 30 + yds ahead. One shot of #7 steel shot crumpled her at 48 yds. So how far does momentum carry a bird? 5 yards?  10 yards? Probably not 10. I knew it was a long shot so I paced it off.

The highight of the day was when my son said he cant wait to go again. This weekend was his first bird hunt.

Lots of woodcock this year. Seeing/hearing more grouse than last year.

Good weekend except for the rain

Edited on 10/7/18 10:01 PM
Post Your Comment
10/7/18 @ 8:09 AM
Tacoeye
Tacoeye
USER since 7/28/16

Hunted 10/6 flushed/moved 6 grouse, bagged one and 3 doodles

Post Your Comment
10/6/18 @ 8:59 PM
Brule100
Brule100
USER since 3/6/18

Walked 6 mi on trails. Flushed 27. Best #s in many years considering not hunting ideal habitat yet. 

Edited on 10/6/18 9:00 PM
Post Your Comment
10/5/18 @ 9:49 AM
BirdHunter-22
BirdHunter-22
USER since 10/5/18
Was out last weekend up in Sawyer County and flushed 8-grouse and 2-woodcock thanks to my amazing Springer. Took 5-shots and bagged 2-grouse. Was out for about 5-hours in an area I never hunted before. Will be going back up in a couple of weeks.

Post Your Comment
10/4/18 @ 2:35 PM
Price County Tourism Department
Price County Tourism
USER since 9/4/02

We are at peak color in Price County. High winds overnight, October 3 into 4, shook a few leaves loose, but there are still plenty of leaves on the trees. These photos were taken taken 10- 4-18 along Maple Grove Road just north of Phillips. Order a free county map and visitor guide by clicking on our partner name below. Good luck hunting! 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 31 to 40 of 2,107 Posts