Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 20 to 29 of 2,009 Posts
7/20/18 @ 12:59 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Once again.  Road hunting should be illegal.  If you are not out on foot and you are ground swatting off an ATV or adjacent to your truck, it just isn't sporting.  Sorry.  My opinion for sure but I don't get the appeal of road hunting.  I don't shoot them out of trees though either.

Post Your Comment
7/20/18 @ 12:16 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08

The guys walking and hunting over dogs aren't an issue with limits. Very few of us get close to limiting out.  The guys up here that are road hunting are. I work with guys that are limiting out every time they go and do that multiple times per week

Edited on 7/20/18 12:17 PM
Post Your Comment
7/20/18 @ 11:11 AM
JKling
JKling
USER since 10/17/08

Same here. Quite a few 2 bird days in 35 years, never a 3, at least that I can recall. Lots of days with none. We always laugh at the 5 a day limit, some years I couldn't manage 5 all season.

Post Your Comment
7/20/18 @ 7:17 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

I agree there is a reason you see pheasant and qual hunting on outdoor tv,but seldom see grouse hunting.

Post Your Comment
7/19/18 @ 6:41 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01

I have hunted grouse for 50 years. Love it. Almost all of them with pretty good dogs. If I get 1 maybe 2 its a great day. Most days are 0. I don't remember getting more than 3 even on all day hunts in really good grouse habitat and numbers. I did get my limit (5) once in my life. Total fluke because I ran into a covey that flushed 1 by 1 in a pretty open area for shooting. I had just bought a brand new Franchi shotgun. One and only time I actually shot really good. Never before and never since.  I had one that morning, 3 in the covey and one late in the day. Cut the daily to two would be fine with me. One could put me out of the woods pretty quick if I happened to be lucky that day. But I could live with one. 

Post Your Comment
7/19/18 @ 6:14 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Ha, that sums it up for sure. Ive had a couple of double days , never killed 3 birds in one day.  that 5 bird limits is designed to look good to the tourists and amateurs.

Post Your Comment
7/19/18 @ 2:42 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

They could reduce the bag limit to one and I'd still never get there on most days.  Ha ha.

Post Your Comment
7/18/18 @ 6:49 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01

Have to totally agree....change the daily bag limit but allow the later season. Most of the time the later season is iffy anyway. Cold and snow make hunting grouse few and far between on days you can actually hunt. But I like being out when the weather permits. I very rarely kill many grouse in the late season but its a great time to hunt and just be in the woods with the dog.

Post Your Comment
7/18/18 @ 2:28 PM
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10

I’d rather see them reduce bag limits than cut the dates.  Even to one bird per day.  I enjoy the December and January hunts.  Typically have woods to myself 

Post Your Comment
7/14/18 @ 10:25 AM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01

I'm not seeing many grouse at all right now. This past winter I was seeing quite a few. But to be fair I have not been in good grouse area's for a while now. Did have a friend who said his wife was driving near Hayward and saw a hen with a brood of 10 crossing the road in front of her. I have seen quite a few turkey hens with small broods, 5-6 chicks. Usually I see more chicks than that in a brood. Not sure if that transfers to the size and number of grouse chicks.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 20 to 29 of 2,009 Posts