Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 2,105 Posts
10/15/18 @ 7:54 AM
Swamp buck
Swamp buck
USER since 1/23/09

At 20-25 ft I believe you would've done some damage. I don't hate wolves but they need to be controled

Post Your Comment
10/15/18 @ 7:49 AM
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01

8’s in an O/U seems way under gunned. A warning shot makes no sense because then you're training the wolf nothing bad will happen because if the noise. A lot was going thru my mind. I was fortunate but Im sure this isnt the first time this wolf did this.

Post Your Comment
10/15/18 @ 7:38 AM
Swamp buck
Swamp buck
USER since 1/23/09

I got 1000's of dollars invested into both my dogs and lots of hours too. I would have shot that wolf in a second! I dont give a sh%t what the DNR says

Post Your Comment
10/15/18 @ 12:03 AM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

I believe the term is SSS, depending where you are I'd skip the middle S.

Also, I believe if they are after dogs you can shoot them. Be careful though, if your aim is off and you hit them a little far back they'll run off. 

Post Your Comment
10/14/18 @ 9:04 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

yep 35 rounds ought to do it.

Good to here people are seeing/hearing birds. Much more optimism than what we posted here last year.

Post Your Comment
10/14/18 @ 8:38 PM
Brule100
Brule100
USER since 3/6/18

Flushed 32 Fri, 21 Sat and 20 today. Birds getting close to ideal cover. Some of my best spots have zero birds. Amazing that 5 miles can be the difference between zero birds and decent numbers.

Post Your Comment
10/14/18 @ 7:12 PM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

You should have touched one off into the air and put some fear into it.

Post Your Comment
10/14/18 @ 6:44 PM
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01

I put up 5 on friday and 3 woodcock today. Didnt hunt saturday.  I had my first wolf encounter today. Stood staring at me at 20-25 ft. Luckily the pup wasnt behind the wolf when I yelled for her. She wouldve run right up to it. I sat there with a leashed dog yelling at a wolf for 90 seconds or so until it took a step, stopped, took 2 more and stopped until it slowly walked off. Never taking its eyes off of us. That wolf had zero fear of me. I now know the adrenaline dump from a wolf being that close. I will never go in the woods with out my handgun with 2 loaded mags-35 rnds. 

Post Your Comment
10/14/18 @ 6:27 PM
Partimer
Partimer
USER since 12/3/11

Hunted most of the day Sunday... great day in the woods, 2 flushes no shots... so many of the logging roads and trails in Iron, Co are flooded... went knee deep over the boots a couple times!

Post Your Comment
10/12/18 @ 12:40 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02

Depends on what you want. Some like the dog to be steady to wing (flush), shot and fall releasing only on command. Some like the dog to go on fall so they get a good mark (tough to see depending on cover). Some want breaking on shot believing that the dog will get to a cripple (maybe runner) faster. I am fine with my dogs doing that. I am not fine with them breaking on wing as I've seen some other guy's dogs jump for birds and be very close to the bird with their face when the (undisciplined hunter's) shot is fired.

I also don't mind if my dog understands the bird has moved (while I tried to get there) and relocates.

In a boat situation I want my dogs to be steady until I release them. Safety thing with tippy boat/canoe, limited space, etc. An unbexpected swim in chilly fall water is not fun.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 2,105 Posts