Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 10:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,934 Posts
2/3/18 @ 12:54 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

From what i read leashes needed in recreational areas and interpretive trails otherwise none needed on federal land. 

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 12:42 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

DNR lands.  Does that include or exclude the national forest?

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 12:08 PM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
Oh ok. It seems I’ve read on other websites and forums of guys working their dogs on woodcock in the spring but maybe those were other states or something. Thanks for keeping me from a violation.

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 11:18 AM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Thinblueline dogs must be leashed from april 15th to july 31st on dnr lands because of nesting 

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 10:23 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

thin, I do not think it is legal to run you dog on spring birds.

Post Your Comment
2/3/18 @ 3:28 AM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
Hi everyone. I would like to get my young dog out during the spring woodcock migration in northern Wisconsin. I realize there are weather variables that influence the migration, but can anyone offer kind of a general time frame, on average, when I might catch em coming back?

Post Your Comment
2/2/18 @ 4:46 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Birdboy you can also check tne mdnr site under the GEMS program , grouse enhanced managment sites to see if there are any in that area

Post Your Comment
2/2/18 @ 3:04 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

May want to ask this question on uplandjournal dot com.  Bird hunters like here but with a larger geographical base.

Post Your Comment
2/2/18 @ 10:58 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

So I have a request for information.  

My son is looking at schools in Wisconsin and Michigan for college.  He has been accepted to Central Michigan.  He is an avid grouse hunter and likes the idea that it is close to the Huron-Manistee national forest.  I've only hunted grouse in Wisconsin and the U.P.  Never lower Michigan.  Anyone know if the grouse population is any good?  I looked over the DNR maps and it appears many of the forests are older with some smaller areas of young aspen and clear cuts.  

Yes this is a strange way to make a final decision about which college to attend.  But as a dad, I'm kind of happy that he is taking it into consideration.  Plus we would go hunting when I visit him in the fall!  Appreciate any feedback you have.  Thanks.

Post Your Comment
12/21/17 @ 4:46 AM
blackbrd
blackbrd
USER since 1/9/07
Honestly, from what I have seen by my place in the u.p. numbers were really strong until this year and I think it had alot to do with a wet cold spring.  Very few young birds seen, but still fair numbers.  We really only shoot a few off the property in years when there is a boom hatch.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,934 Posts