Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,012 Posts
TODAY @ 12:27 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
Duck,I used to think the same,but one year I had a grouse nest by my cabin.Having coffie in the morning, I had a group of turkeys come through,did not even think about the nest.Later in the day I took a look at the nest and all the eggs were broken.

Post Your Comment
8/17/18 @ 8:55 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08

I don't subscribe to the turkey predation on grouse theory as I usually see them coexisting on my property. I did buy a fall turkey tag since you can "use a dog" state wide. I usually flush turkeys while grouse hunting. Interesting to see what the dogs think of that.

Post Your Comment
8/17/18 @ 2:08 PM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

I'd just like to encourage everyone to buy a fall turkey tag.

If you buy, you can automatically kill a turkey in whatever zone you specify.  I never applied for a fall turkey tag in the past because a kill permit wasn't guaranteed.  But, that's changed this year.

Each fall, I have a couple of points on wild turkeys.  Some of you guys seem to believe turkeys prey on grouse chicks.  Well, it's not much, but here's a chance to thin them back a little.

Post Your Comment
8/15/18 @ 7:12 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

Driving to my cabin today got onto the two track about a mile from the cabin I saw my first chicks this summer.Four or five hard to tell pretty thick.I did here more drumming this spring when turkey than I have in years.

That said with all the fishing I do driving all over the place it does not look good.To bad I have a young Springer that;s looking good hope I can get him into some birds this year.

Post Your Comment
8/14/18 @ 12:19 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08

I believe he is poking fun at some folks

Post Your Comment
8/14/18 @ 11:52 AM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01

JC- I'm not sure I understand your post. What do you mean baiting and wolves.

Post Your Comment
8/14/18 @ 10:02 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
West Nile?  Flooded spring grouse nesting?  What people are failing to realize and the likely cause of the grouse crash is clearly allowing baiting in the northwoods, and of course wolves.

Post Your Comment
8/13/18 @ 2:19 PM
Bowhunting Guy
Bowhunting Guy
USER since 5/22/18

For what it’s worth, I spend a considerable amount of time in some great grouse habitat throughout a widespread area of Oneida County. I haven’t seen a grouse since late last year. In 2016, I could hunt for an hour with 3 or 4 shot opportunities. The future seems very dismal for this year. 

Post Your Comment
8/13/18 @ 12:59 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Was up in Washburn Co for 3 days.  Not a single bird seen or heard.  Buddy was up in Oneida Co for a week.  He saw some Woodcock, but not a single grouse.  So far this is not looking good at all. 

Post Your Comment
8/12/18 @ 7:09 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08

I was out this morning. Scouting for geese but the trails usually hold lots of grouse. Only seen 1

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,012 Posts