MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,151 Posts
3/31/19 @ 6:05 PM
PSE
PSE
MEMBER since 11/25/05

Fritz, that is great advice. I have a frozen grouse that I use at times. I have been cutting wood and doing maple trees so I wasn't really expecting this amount of bird sightings this weekend as we walked but I will use the grouse as a reward. thanks

Post Your Comment
3/31/19 @ 12:20 PM
Fritz
Fritz
USER since 6/27/01

PSE,

When I take my dog out for walks at this time of the year, I take a dummy or frozen pigeon along.  If he sits on the flush, (springer) I throw it out for a retrieve as a reward.

Fritz

Post Your Comment
3/31/19 @ 12:03 PM
PSE
PSE
MEMBER since 11/25/05

kicked up 4 grouse on Saturday with the dog so I'm happy with that. Wish they held this tight during the fall.  today she locked up on six woodcock so that flight is coming through central wi. that was in the space of about 100 yards. good training. sorry I cant drop anything for her to bring back though. 

Post Your Comment
3/25/19 @ 8:02 AM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
USER since 7/24/01

Even though we still have a couple feet of snow yet in Northern Wisconsin I am starting to see some grouse out by the road edges. Actually have seen quite a few in the past week or so. That is encouraging.

Post Your Comment
3/4/19 @ 1:12 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Ha ha ha....

I hear you on that.

Post Your Comment
2/18/19 @ 6:12 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Is it October yet?

Post Your Comment
1/16/19 @ 8:46 PM
Lastcastmaybeknot
Lastcastmaybeknot
USER since 4/20/16

Short season sucks.  Or maybe the nonstop deer season sucks.  Took my five year old squirrel hunting new year's Eve day. Seen a squirrel. Three Rabbit and seven grouse.  Had the 22.  Prime numbers the last couple years in my neck of the woods

Post Your Comment
1/16/19 @ 6:45 PM
Graceonpoint
Graceonpoint
USER since 10/24/17

Saw today on the WI DNR website https://dnr.wi.gov/news/Weekly/?id=672#art  that 3 of the first 16 grouse they tested for West Nile tested positive, and showed signs of the disease.   I'm not surprised there has definitely been a decline in numbers over the last couple of years.   When the cycle should be peaking.   The shortened season isnt going to make a hill of beans.  If the DNR wanted to get more birds to the breeding season they would make it illegal to road hunt.

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 10:10 PM
returnfishreturnsfish
returnfishreturnsfish
USER since 1/14/16

Imagine looking at a bear head between your legs, looking backwards when you are about to sit on a mounded rise.  It happened to me while deer hunting near Drummond.

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 8:40 PM
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10

Our last hunt of the season was on 30th. Six grouse contacts.  Hunting partner shot one over a nice point from his dog.  Here is A photo I took just after I realized Ellie was pointing a black bear.   He had bedded down in a tag swamp.  Good thing my dog is obedient.  Gave her a stern whoa and then called her over.  This was a first for me.  

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,151 Posts