Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 10:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,145 Posts
1/16/19 @ 7:46 PM
Lastcastmaybeknot
Lastcastmaybeknot
USER since 4/20/16

Short season sucks.  Or maybe the nonstop deer season sucks.  Took my five year old squirrel hunting new year's Eve day. Seen a squirrel. Three Rabbit and seven grouse.  Had the 22.  Prime numbers the last couple years in my neck of the woods

Post Your Comment
1/16/19 @ 5:45 PM
Graceonpoint
Graceonpoint
USER since 10/24/17

Saw today on the WI DNR website https://dnr.wi.gov/news/Weekly/?id=672#art  that 3 of the first 16 grouse they tested for West Nile tested positive, and showed signs of the disease.   I'm not surprised there has definitely been a decline in numbers over the last couple of years.   When the cycle should be peaking.   The shortened season isnt going to make a hill of beans.  If the DNR wanted to get more birds to the breeding season they would make it illegal to road hunt.

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 9:10 PM
returnfishreturnsfish
returnfishreturnsfish
USER since 1/14/16

Imagine looking at a bear head between your legs, looking backwards when you are about to sit on a mounded rise.  It happened to me while deer hunting near Drummond.

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 7:40 PM
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10

Our last hunt of the season was on 30th. Six grouse contacts.  Hunting partner shot one over a nice point from his dog.  Here is A photo I took just after I realized Ellie was pointing a black bear.   He had bedded down in a tag swamp.  Good thing my dog is obedient.  Gave her a stern whoa and then called her over.  This was a first for me.  

Post Your Comment
12/24/18 @ 6:42 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Great picture I'm jealous 

Post Your Comment
12/22/18 @ 5:10 PM
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10

HAd a good day.  Ellie has had better days as far as being steady.  But overall can’t complain 

Post Your Comment
11/28/18 @ 7:53 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Probably ironwoods. Leaves like a birch but with scaly bark.  Grouse do have some preference to it for food, so I read. 

I didnt know this til I researched it last week. Ironwood grows as far south as mexico. I alwasy thought of it as strictly a northern tree.  Awesome tree, very hard wood but they dont seem to be highly valued for commercial purposes, maybe cuz it grows so slow.

Post Your Comment
11/28/18 @ 12:44 PM
7thson
7thson
USER since 6/4/06

I live about 20 miles south of Superior . We have about 6-7" of  snow on the level . The other day I walked out of the house and spotted 5 grouse feeding in an ironwood tree by the garage . Since then , I have seen them everyday in the yard in various ironwood trees in the afternoon , on their way to roost I suspect . Not sure if the trees are actually ironwoods but, that's what the locals call them . Must be good buds !

Post Your Comment
11/24/18 @ 8:55 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Well after 2 days of deer hunting w saw more grouse than deer.  Time to go grouse hunting and it was more fun and we stayed warm.  It was interesting too.  We followed some fresh tracks in the snow leading to a 1500 sq ft patch of black spruce.  The dog was excited but wouldnt point. I kept looking into the trees and unable to locate any bird.  They had to be here and I stood in that grove for 10 minutes looking.  It took 10 minutes and one finally flushed overhead. Shoot and miss.  3 more flushed. More shoot and miss.  Twas a good day.

Post Your Comment
11/16/18 @ 6:19 AM
Whywork
Whywork
USER since 7/6/09

Not looking forward to dealing with my dogs for the next 9 days!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,145 Posts