Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,986 Posts
7/19/18 @ 6:41 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01

I have hunted grouse for 50 years. Love it. Almost all of them with pretty good dogs. If I get 1 maybe 2 its a great day. Most days are 0. I don't remember getting more than 3 even on all day hunts in really good grouse habitat and numbers. I did get my limit (5) once in my life. Total fluke because I ran into a covey that flushed 1 by 1 in a pretty open area for shooting. I had just bought a brand new Franchi shotgun. One and only time I actually shot really good. Never before and never since.  I had one that morning, 3 in the covey and one late in the day. Cut the daily to two would be fine with me. One could put me out of the woods pretty quick if I happened to be lucky that day. But I could live with one. 

Post Your Comment
7/19/18 @ 6:14 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Ha, that sums it up for sure. Ive had a couple of double days , never killed 3 birds in one day.  that 5 bird limits is designed to look good to the tourists and amateurs.

Post Your Comment
7/19/18 @ 2:42 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

They could reduce the bag limit to one and I'd still never get there on most days.  Ha ha.

Post Your Comment
7/18/18 @ 6:49 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01

Have to totally agree....change the daily bag limit but allow the later season. Most of the time the later season is iffy anyway. Cold and snow make hunting grouse few and far between on days you can actually hunt. But I like being out when the weather permits. I very rarely kill many grouse in the late season but its a great time to hunt and just be in the woods with the dog.

Post Your Comment
7/18/18 @ 2:28 PM
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10

I’d rather see them reduce bag limits than cut the dates.  Even to one bird per day.  I enjoy the December and January hunts.  Typically have woods to myself 

Post Your Comment
7/14/18 @ 10:25 AM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01

I'm not seeing many grouse at all right now. This past winter I was seeing quite a few. But to be fair I have not been in good grouse area's for a while now. Did have a friend who said his wife was driving near Hayward and saw a hen with a brood of 10 crossing the road in front of her. I have seen quite a few turkey hens with small broods, 5-6 chicks. Usually I see more chicks than that in a brood. Not sure if that transfers to the size and number of grouse chicks.

Post Your Comment
7/14/18 @ 10:01 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Well I guess there’s always migrating woodies to hunt. Last season was lousy for grouse as we all know. And we had great drumming counts and brood sightings. This year looks to be dismal. 

Post Your Comment
7/13/18 @ 7:11 PM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
I can’t imagine all that rain in June and early July can bode well for the broods. I have heard very little about any grouse brood sightings, let alone the size of the broods. I have a bad feeling though and I’m disappointed in the prospect of a crashing population as I’ve got a young dog I desperately want to get into as many birds as possible to build his foundation for the coming years. My only hope is that because most of the rain over the past six or seven weeks was associated with mild to warm temperatures, there is a decent percentage that make it through to the season. I guess we won’t know until we’ve got boots in the woods. 

Post Your Comment
7/13/18 @ 10:23 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Any thoughts from the group on the impact of rainfall totals and impact on grouse nesting and chick survival this year?  Saw a 30 day rain total map this week that showed as much as 20 inches of rain in some of the prime cover area we hunt in the Northwoods. The same map showed 1-2 inches in lower Michigan and the east end of the UP. Grouse hunters there are reporting seeing good numbers of chicks and broods with baseball size birds moving around. 

Post Your Comment
7/11/18 @ 6:37 AM
Swamp buck
Swamp buck
USER since 1/23/09
It is troubling. Last year I moved ALOT birds early in the season but it was so hot and thick I couldn't get any shots. I went back 3 times and never got a flush later in the season. No one hunts this spot but me and I was quite surprised at the lack of birds.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,986 Posts