Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,981 Posts
7/14/18 @ 10:25 AM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01

I'm not seeing many grouse at all right now. This past winter I was seeing quite a few. But to be fair I have not been in good grouse area's for a while now. Did have a friend who said his wife was driving near Hayward and saw a hen with a brood of 10 crossing the road in front of her. I have seen quite a few turkey hens with small broods, 5-6 chicks. Usually I see more chicks than that in a brood. Not sure if that transfers to the size and number of grouse chicks.

Post Your Comment
7/14/18 @ 10:01 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Well I guess there’s always migrating woodies to hunt. Last season was lousy for grouse as we all know. And we had great drumming counts and brood sightings. This year looks to be dismal. 

Post Your Comment
7/13/18 @ 7:11 PM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
I can’t imagine all that rain in June and early July can bode well for the broods. I have heard very little about any grouse brood sightings, let alone the size of the broods. I have a bad feeling though and I’m disappointed in the prospect of a crashing population as I’ve got a young dog I desperately want to get into as many birds as possible to build his foundation for the coming years. My only hope is that because most of the rain over the past six or seven weeks was associated with mild to warm temperatures, there is a decent percentage that make it through to the season. I guess we won’t know until we’ve got boots in the woods. 

Post Your Comment
7/13/18 @ 10:23 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Any thoughts from the group on the impact of rainfall totals and impact on grouse nesting and chick survival this year?  Saw a 30 day rain total map this week that showed as much as 20 inches of rain in some of the prime cover area we hunt in the Northwoods. The same map showed 1-2 inches in lower Michigan and the east end of the UP. Grouse hunters there are reporting seeing good numbers of chicks and broods with baseball size birds moving around. 

Post Your Comment
7/11/18 @ 6:37 AM
Swamp buck
Swamp buck
USER since 1/23/09
It is troubling. Last year I moved ALOT birds early in the season but it was so hot and thick I couldn't get any shots. I went back 3 times and never got a flush later in the season. No one hunts this spot but me and I was quite surprised at the lack of birds.

Post Your Comment
7/10/18 @ 3:35 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Usually count on seeing a few here and there on the way into town from the flowage.  They get busier as the summer winds down. Morning and of course heading into dusk. Along the gravel road to big island, Wilson Lake, etc. Last year the grouse were everywhere pecking away. Then they all but disappeared come the middle of October.  Seeing one bird in five days is troubling. Especially when people are actively looking for them. 

Post Your Comment
7/10/18 @ 6:45 AM
Swamp buck
Swamp buck
USER since 1/23/09

Birdy, How many do you usually see in other years on average?

Post Your Comment
7/9/18 @ 7:14 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Update from Mercer. Family saw one lonely single grouse during a five day trip over the long weekend. One. 

Post Your Comment
7/3/18 @ 11:33 AM
Price County Tourism Department
Price County Tourism
USER since 9/4/02

Per Jaqi Christopher, WI DNR Assistant Upland Ecologist with the Bureau of Wildlife Management: The season dates have not changed as of yet. At the last Natural Resources Board meeting on June 27th, the board passed a motion which would allow them to vote on the season change at a future meeting. They will most likely vote on the rule change at the August meeting or the September meeting. Information on the meetings can be found here: https://dnr.wi.gov/about/nrb/calendar.html. To submit public comment on the grouse season, you can contact your conservation congress delegates (info here: https://dnr.wi.gov/about/wcc/) or submit comments for the next NRB meeting (info here: https://dnr.wi.gov/about/nrb/public.html). 

Edited on 7/3/18 11:35 AM
Post Your Comment
7/2/18 @ 12:35 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

SJB and JS you guys touch on reason I love the comedy on Wisconsin public radio.  listening to a caller one time who identified herself as a sierra club member and she is emphatic that we must have old growth forest with large trees because this is what the TIMBER wolf prefers for habitat.  I was in utter disbelief at that comment but this is what the sierra club does to people and they attract money to influence court decisions and legislation.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,981 Posts