Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,106 Posts
TODAY @ 7:42 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

I hunted this morning for a few hours.  Wasn't bad in the woods just needed a hood to keep the snow off the neck. The dog had more fun than I did.  No tracks and no birds but a good trek for sure. 

Saw several boats out musky fishing this morning.  Those were the crazy ones haha

Edited on 10/20/18 7:45 PM
Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 7:26 AM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

Who is hunting today?!

Holy cow, is it nasty out there!  The ground is white and the wind is blowing 30+ mph.  Not ideal grouse hunting conditions, that's for sure. 

Post Your Comment
10/19/18 @ 9:04 PM
WWYH
WWYH
USER since 5/24/16

Late report,  hunted with 4 other buddies last weekend. Hunted a total of 3 full days.  Saw/flushed 52 grouse and 38 woodcock. Ended up with 5 grouse and 15 woidcock.  Hunted mostly 11-17 year old aspen.  Bird numbers for us certainly up this year.

Post Your Comment
10/19/18 @ 6:43 PM
No Dak
No Dak
MEMBER since 2/28/16

Just returned from a 2&1/2 day hunt in Oneida County. Solo hunt.Totals are approx give or take 1 or 2 birds, 22 grouse & 25 woodcock flushed. Ended up shooting 2 woodcock. 13 month settler is a work in progress. Started pointing woodcock on day 2 & one grouse point on day 3. First hunt in the thick stuff. All prairie grouse till now. Never found the bigger amount of woodcock that I was hoping for. Found some doodles in clear cuts, some on alders & some in grouse cover. Seemed to d be scattered. Great time in beautiful country! 

Post Your Comment
10/16/18 @ 1:51 PM
samfox
samfox
USER since 3/17/09

Would have not been a problem, shoot the damn thing, would not have to worry about your dog chasing the wolf a 1 ounce of #8at 10 yards would have left a dead wolf. At 10 yards showing no fear, you were threatened 

Post Your Comment
10/15/18 @ 7:26 PM
huntfish
huntfish
USER since 6/16/03

Shoot cardboard at 10 yards with number 8 loads and you worry no more after seeing the damage.

Post Your Comment
10/15/18 @ 5:28 PM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

Fact is, Wisconsin trapping laws are a lot more restrictive than Minnesota. I know they've had problems over there with 220 conibears set in buckets, which isn't legal here without a 10 inch recess and a restricted opening.

Bird hunters should be glad trappers are out there killing nest robbers.  The risk to dogs is small.  And, given a chance, trappers would easily solve this wolf problem. 

Post Your Comment
10/15/18 @ 2:37 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
USER since 7/24/01

I know that trapping season is about to start so I thought I would bring this up for discussion. I read an article a while ago that about 10-15 bird dogs had been killed in Minnesota by legal traps set for furbearers. They were conibear sets I believe which kill instantly. I also think those are legal to use in Wisconsin. I had a Brittany years ago that was caught in a foothold trap set near a stream but she was uninjured after I got the trap off her. Anyone else have any experience with this? Something else to worry about.

Post Your Comment
10/15/18 @ 8:59 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

My dog would be eager to make friends and that wolf will be his last best friend.

Post Your Comment
10/15/18 @ 8:41 AM
Swamp buck
Swamp buck
USER since 1/23/09

Maybe but I would rather have a wounded wolf than a dead dog. Also being that the wolf would more than likely be bigger and more dominate than my dogs, I doubt they would chase. They would instead run back to me like they usually do when they are scared

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,106 Posts