Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 10:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,916 Posts
TODAY @ 8:09 AM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Stopping this practice would help more than reducing the limit or the season.

Yep.  Theory vs practice

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 8:03 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02

We do not need to reduce the bag limit on grouse. How often do hunters with good dogs and who are good shots actually kill a limit of grouse? I'd wager not many do it regularly if ever. The people wacking them from a truck or ATV/UTV with a 30 pack of natty ice 16 ouncers next to them kill way more birds and they aren't going to pay attention to bag limits anyway.

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 7:49 AM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

Easy?!

What's easier?  Shooting a limit on the wing?  Or shooting a limit out the window?

I'd really like to know what % of the birds are shot off the road.  I'm guessing, but 50%+ wouldn't surprise me a bit.  Stopping this practice would help more than reducing the limit or the season.

Why punish the guy that might actually shoot a limit once in a while?  

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 7:33 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

If it were that easy then walking a half mile off of any road would put you into birds,that's not the case . Even in gorgeous habitat.

Edited on 12/15/17 7:36 AM
Post Your Comment
12/14/17 @ 8:36 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

When I was a kid (I'm 50 now) my father and uncle did a whole heck of a lot of road hunting.  So did every hunter they hunted with.  

I guess here's more than one reason I got that over/under .410/.22 when I was about 10.

But I also remember something I heard in college.  Your "mentors" can teach as much about what not to do as they can about what to do.

Post Your Comment
12/14/17 @ 7:40 PM
duckjunkie
duckjunkie
USER since 11/3/08

I would be willing to bet bet that the largest portion of the grouse harvest in Iron county is by road hunters. The lone warden that we have actually has a " robo grouse" to catch the giys shooting out the windows. From what i understand, catches quite a few guys . I've seen guys driving around on atvs with .410 pisrols. Biggest selling gun at the hardware store is 20 ga youth model, easier to swing out truck window. The 2 legged predators have more of an impact up here than the 4 legged ones.

Post Your Comment
12/14/17 @ 7:22 PM
Brother of the brush
Brother of the brush
USER since 1/22/12

You really think that River?  I'm betting the majority of birds are shot off of roads.  While sitting for deer, it's a steady line of traffic all afternoon till dark.  Always wondered if the drivers knew there was another vehicle ahead of them by 2 minutes..lol

Post Your Comment
12/14/17 @ 6:54 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Probbably no one here fits that description. Seriously I dont know anyone who does or ever did

Thats not to say it doesnt happen.

Post Your Comment
12/14/17 @ 5:34 PM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

Don't screw with the season or bag limits!

Do you want really help the grouse?  Then make it illegal to shoot off the gravel roads.  How about 50 feet from the center?

Stop the ground pounders and limb swatters...especially the hicks that shoot right out the truck window.  How many of you fit that description?  A lot of guys would never get a grouse if they had to shoot them on the wing.

Post Your Comment
12/14/17 @ 2:34 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Which is more of the same old same old. A lot of factors have gotten small game hunting to this low point in Wisconsins history. Many bad decisions of predators and grouse management most of which originated inside of our WDNR. There are steps that can be taken to start increasing our Wisconsin grouse populations. Bobcatand turkey harvest increases would be a start , a shorter season and lower bag limits might be another. It's time our wildlife managers start managing ,not just doing the same old same old . 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,916 Posts