Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,781 Posts
7/21/17 @ 2:05 PM
Price County Tourism Department
Price County Tourism
MEMBER since 9/4/02

The Price County Forestry and Parks Department has a series of maps available online for people to use while hunting on land managed by the department. The maps show gates, wildlife openings, trails, roads and water (lakes, rivers and streams) features. The maps also show the type of tree species located on the sections of land, and in some instances, the age of the trees. View maps at Price County Forest Hunting Maps.    

Post Your Comment
7/1/17 @ 8:46 PM
Darkest Water
Darkest Water
USER since 6/30/17

Had a hen grouse and at least 4 little ones skirt the edge of my lawn yesterday afternoon in Waushara County.

Post Your Comment
4/16/17 @ 5:35 PM
JS Outdoors
JS Outdoors
USER since 2/28/16

Despite the rain and less than favorable conditions I heard quite a bit of drumming this weekend. The dogs even moved a couple of birds around the cabin which offers less than ideal habit. Optimistic that with some good weather during the nesting season we may possibly see an uptick in overall numbers. Time will tell I guess. Happy Easter to all my fellow upland bird hunters.

Post Your Comment
4/12/17 @ 12:38 PM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01

Was at my place in Jump River last weekend and heard drumming all day Saturday and quite a bit until the rains came in Sunday afternoon.

Post Your Comment
4/6/17 @ 2:05 PM
goju
goju
USER since 12/30/10

River_Chaser, years ago there was a story by Dave Duffy (IIRC) where he and a friend were hunting and both of the dogs locked up on a WC.  It held so tight, he had time to set his shotgun down and shoot 1/2 roll of film (I warned you it was an OLD! story).  He then picked up his gun, they flushed the bird - and both missed it cleanly.  Perfect WC story.

Post Your Comment
4/5/17 @ 5:08 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

I was in Iron Cty last wkend too. Never heard a single drum  but we did kick up a few grouse.  Saw more woodcock though. Driving around on gravel the WCs would sit in the middle of the road and not even fly away at our approach. I had to drive around them.  Dog made 2 nice points on the WCs and 1 on grouse.

Post Your Comment
4/5/17 @ 12:40 PM
jlkohl
jlkohl
USER since 6/9/02

Heard a lot of drumming this past weekend up in northern Iron county.

Post Your Comment
2/3/17 @ 8:13 PM
JS Outdoors
JS Outdoors
USER since 2/28/16

Snuck out on the last day with my boys, managed to scratch a few. God willing we will be back at it next year. Great season for us.

Post Your Comment
1/25/17 @ 10:12 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

I did get out 2 wks ago, far north Wisconisin, with knee deep crusty snow. 1.5 hrs a days was all this old boy could handle. Itwas tough going. The dog on the other hand was eager for more. Took several days of hunting but finally pup scentd and paused. 4 birds flushed and one bird killed. That one was hiding up in a balsam and when he flushed I had a clean shot. Made my day.

Post Your Comment
1/24/17 @ 11:55 PM
Fritz
Fritz
USER since 6/27/01

Hunted Wood County on Monday.  Had 1 flush which I missed.   Heard the re-flush, but never saw it.

The snow in the spruce swamp was knee deep, but in the tags and uplands it wasn't bad.

Fritz

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,781 Posts