Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
150class
150class
USER since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,841 Posts
TODAY @ 10:06 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
USER since 8/24/07

Tough week in the Northwoods. Hunted Monday through Friday with some success but very few shot opportunities. Managed to harvest 5 grouse and 6 woodies. The weather was WAY too warm. It was 74 degrees on Friday. Very dry and all the usual potholes and wet areas in the woods were dried out. Found birds when we pushed into the absolute lowest spots with some water around. Otherwise nothing moved. Managed this final bird on Friday as the sun was setting with one very fast and lucky shot. The only time I pulled the trigger all day. Still can’t believe I knocked her down. Lucy was fed up with me by then so it was nice to get her a grouse. 

Edited on 10/22/17 10:09 AM
Post Your Comment
10/21/17 @ 8:19 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Out with friends today beating the bushes in some new areas. 4 grouse, and 3 woodcock. in what is some awesome classic by the book cover. Birds still seem to be running out front of the dogs. Not holding at all.  Real pain in the arse for all.

SJB, and all.  I MADE A MISTAKE!! At least believe I did.  The black berries in the crop picture posted.  I dont believe are choke cherries. Rather they are the berries from Viburnum acerifolium, or maple leaf arrowwood, arrow wood.  While the chokes are gone in the northwoods from what I have seen. These still have a lot of berries on them. Matching what I have seen in many piles of bear crap in the last 2 weeks. As well as the crops of birds many are harvesting.

Guess it's just a reminder we all still have lots to learn in the woods everyday!

Post Your Comment
10/21/17 @ 6:53 PM
Let-Handler
Let-Handler
USER since 10/21/17

Been in the Brainerd area the last four days and have logged 22 Miles in the brush. Have harvested one grouse and three woodcock.Flushed three other grouse out of range and out of sight. It’s been fun hunting with my new pup but disappointed with bird numbers.  

Post Your Comment
10/21/17 @ 3:28 PM
BadMoonRising
BadMoonRising
USER since 3/29/12

Was up in southern Ashland county this past Wed and Thurs hunting a buddy's private property.  Wednesday in the morning conditions were prime and we covered a lot of ground that is typically good but only had 4 flushes with only one being shootable.  The wind really picked up the rest of the day so we worked around the farm up there.  That brings me to Thursday morning where we only had 1.5 hours to hunt.  We pushed through a little ~10 acre patch of woods and overgrown pasture behind the farm that we've never tried before in almost 10 years of hunting back there.  It was unreal.  In that 10 acres we flushed at least 10 individual birds close to 20 times.  Turns out there were crab apple trees in there thick and they were all feasting on them.  Killed two birds and missed some of the easiest shot opportunities I've had on grouse.  All of this with a 10 month old lab.  Good times

Post Your Comment
10/21/17 @ 2:58 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17
Couple of days in the up 7 flushes 2 shots taken lot less than last year hiked quite a bit

Post Your Comment
10/18/17 @ 9:28 PM
Fritz
Fritz
USER since 6/27/01

I was up to Oneida and Vilas Counties last week for 4 days.  (sorry for not posting earlier)

I have still to shoot a grouse this year. Usual excuses - too hot, too many leaves (but they are falling), not enough grouse.

The birds that I had decent shots on and should of shot were over a mile from the truck through the woods, not down a trail).

The good news was that I did manage to bag 2 woodcock and everybody hunting with me got at least 1. I missed several of those also.  The northern flight was definitely in on the last day we hunted.

Fritz

Post Your Comment
10/18/17 @ 9:15 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

SJB, that bird was about to explode!  Lot of old choke cherries there.

Post Your Comment
10/18/17 @ 7:31 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Crop from one of our birds. 

Post Your Comment
10/18/17 @ 5:10 AM
haymaker
haymaker
USER since 7/8/07

Fetch-um-up check your messages. 

Post Your Comment
10/17/17 @ 4:33 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

SJB, take a pic  of that little nut next time.  My guess is a pine nut.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,841 Posts